Proforma separate to quotes

How to create a pro forma invoice without going to invoice customisation as it just writes over the top the logo. Can it be put on a tab like you have for invoice and estimate???

Hi @nicola1

You would need to use the invoice customisation to change the name of the estimate to ‘Proforma Invoice’, but you would only need to do this once.

If it’s overlapping your logo, it would suggest that you would need to tweak the design a little bit through the invoice CSS, which can be accessed using the invoice design gallery:

If you need help with this, please let me know and I’ll see if I can take a look for you :slight_smile:

@nicola1 if you’d like us to fix the overlap we can do this for you if we can possible get an item number where we can see this on your account.

Proforma invoices are really nothing more than quotes/estimates in accounting terms. They are used to advise a client on how much a particular product or service will cost.

Some people call them Proformas, some people quotes or estimates, either way whatever you call it, this needs to go in the invoice customisation section under the name header.

This doesnt really work for me.
For several of my clients, especially new ones, my process is:

1. Quote / Estimate
  2. Pro-forma
  3. Invoice sent once payment received.

I’m sure I’m not the only person who would benefit from having this 3-stage process as an easier option.

1 Like

No your not the only one that does this. I don’t understand why they can’t just make it another option.

In the real world a proforma is not like a quote or estimate it is a request for payment before goods or services are provided. Having to go and change titles like your suggesting would make this slow file not QuickFile

I’m not really sure how many businesses issue a quote, proforma then an invoice? I’m not saying this doesn’t happen, just that it’s likely not very common. If you search through the forum I don’t believe there’s any previous request for such functionality.

For now I will convert this to a Feature Request and we’ll track interest going forward. If it proves to be a popular request we will consider how best to solve this.

Is there a list of features that people have requested??

All requests are made via the forums. There’s a list available under the ‘Features’ category.

You can view them all here, and can drill down into the ones we have planned and are considering, as well as those we have implemented.

Hi,
I’d be really interested in a proforma feature too, the more quickfile becomes usable for product and manufacturing based businesses, the more this would be needed - it is a process, rather than just a change of name of a document.
Thanks
Anna

I’d be interested in a proforma feature, too. Above examples of process are sometimes (not always but sometimes) how we work. Right now we issue invoices and customise the footer region text manually to say ‘this is a proforma invoice due for immediate payment’ and set the due date as the same date as the issue date but it’s manual.

Hi,

I too would be interested in this. We send estimates for exisiting clients to accept but we send proforma invoices to new clients for them to accept and pay until we establish an account for them. Just having the option in the routine emails section to create one under “New Proforma Invoice Created” would suffice with the layout of the proforma invoice being the same as the estimate. We would still need the client to accept or decline it and it could be held in the list of estimates with some sort of tag or different colour to show that it is a proforma invoice rather than an estimate. Once the proforma invoice is paid it would then be converted to an invoice (similar to the estimate) and sent to the client showing the logged payment.

This would save having to change the wording on the estimate email each time. I don’t mind changing the Invoice Name in the invoice customisation each time betwen Estimate and Proforma Invoice. Currently we add in the “Additional Notes” section “PROFORMA INVOICE -THIS IS NOT A VAT INVOICE” and explain in the routine email that they need to make an immediate payment (or words to the effect).

So a proforma feature would definitely be appreciated by us.

I’d welcome proforma invoice too. I have started charging vat but have not received the vat number from hmrc yet. I have been advised by my accountants to do proforma invoices till I receive the number. But once I receive the number, will it recalculate the sums by itself?

I would also like an easy way to switch between Invoice and Pro Forma invoice too if possible. It would make life easier

Yes we would also like this, option. Although it’s legally true proforma/estimates/quotes amount to the same thing, in business decision processes it does not. When directors are having a meeting about purchases and are confronted by “PROFORMA INVOICE” it creates a different feel than to see QUOTE/ESTIMATE.

It would be very good to see this feature added I have been wanting it for years.
@Glenn