Sales credit notes

Is there any way I can import a file of sale credit notes into QuickFile. My client uses Shopify and I can import all the sales invoices and I need a way under MTDfV to import the sales credit notes as a csv file without any manual intervention.

Hello @Aspyre_Accountancy

I found the below post in the forum which may help you

Unfortunately this does not work under MTDfV. As we have the bank entries that match the refunds but as the credit notes is created in other software i.e. Shopify, following an HMRC VAT inspection has told us that we should not be doing that. Our issue is that the VAT rate varies within the invoices some items are zero and some are standard and therefore we have to manually intervene and this is what they are objecting to. I can obtain a csv file of the credit notes with the correct VAT as we do for the sales but as Quickfile will not let us import the credit notes and then allocate I don’t know how I can manage this within Quickfile.

Hi
I am not an accountant but if I understand it correctly, you need uninterrupted links. In this case, as you said you see the refund in your bank account, the bank statement should be proof enough as the uninterrupted link. When the refund arrives on the bank account in quickfile, you can tag it as a refund to that particular invoice, upload the original refund receipt and attach it to it.
May some accountants on the forum can confirm that.

Hello @Aspyre_Accountancy

Currently there is no way to import sales credit notes directly to client accounts other that what was mentioned earlier.

It may be worth logging a feature request in the forum so other users can vote on it

Hi @Aspyre_Accountancy

Just wanted to touch on the one point you mention there about credit notes created in other software. It’s worth double-checking with HMRC whether this is required. I note in their VAT Noticee 700/22:

VAT information may be captured and retained in other software (for example, sales invoicing software or general ledger systems). However, if this software is not used to maintain your electronic account, there is no requirement for a digital link to be used when data is transferred to the electronic account.

My understanding (and this is just me personally) is that as Shopify in your case would be capturing and retaining the data relating to VAT, there’s no requirement for the digital link between Shopify and QuickFile directly.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.