Sales with or without VAT

Hello as a newbie! this question might be answered already but cant see.

Im running a VAT report using flat rate scheme plus cash accounting method. When it calculates the figures which look fine but on the box 6 it shoes turnover inc VAT but HMRC’s version shows turnover without VAT. Is there a way to change this please? I did click on a box that seem to show 2 methods but now it doesnt. on method 2 at the moment and cant get back as boxes disappeared once ticked.

Thanks

Box 6 will be gross figure i.e including vat under FRV

Hi thank you quick reply. It is on quickfile but not on HMRC. Hence problem. Unless i’m missing something.
I don’t suppose it matter as I can do the div by 1.2 calc but nice not have to if poss and keeps things correct.

Thanks

Just looking at a VAT Notice (733) on Flat Rate, and came across this ‘Common Error’ (7.7 on the link)

VAT exclusive figure is put in box 6, meaning that the flat rate is applied to the net, rather than the gross turnover

As it says there, Box 6 should be the gross figure.

Also from notice 700/12:

Box 6 total value of sales
Enter the turnover to which you applied your flat rate percentage, including VAT. You should also include the value, excluding VAT, of any supplies accounted for outside the Flat Rate Scheme, such as the sale of any capital goods on which you have reclaimed input VAT, and reverse charge transactions. Also include any amount you have entered in box 8.

Hope that helps clear it up for you :slight_smile:

Hi thanks QF. I see the mistake that can be easily made and see that refers to that. But unless Im going daft HMRC online box 6 says enter ex Vat figure for sales?

:0

I know FRV is with VAT (gross) with by the way. Also I get the outside the Flat Rate Scheme bit too. Makes sense. :slight_smile:

The first quote does indeed say “VAT exclusive figure”, but this is a common error that HMRC often sees. If an exclusive figure is an error, the correct method is to use the inclusive figure.

The second quote from 700/12 is more important (which is a guide to filling out your return), which says:

Enter the turnover to which you applied your flat rate percentage, including VAT.

VAT can certainly be a bit of a minefield :slight_smile:

HMRC portal is based on standard scheme, also you should use QF to file your vat return instead of getting figures from here and putting it on HMRC portal. This will be compulsory once MTD kick in future in case they want to go ahead with it after elections

from HMRC
Total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT. Include your box 8 figure (Box 6):*

Thank you for the heads up. I may try to do that this time but only just starting to use QF. I guess the question now is can you tweak QF to show ex VAT figure whilst still using the FLV setting?

As you obviously know your stuff. With the resent changes regarding ‘limited cost trader’ do you know have to put in purchases made on HMRC or just have records? Thanks

PS im all for digital! (MTD)

Aim is to get draft P&l figures along with BS with MTD, HMRC are saying they are using MTD to enforce digital book keeping to start with

Sounds like I started at the right time. The limited cost trader bit did you know? Thanks

Apparently you have to check limited cost trader bit every quarter if you want to switch back to original % for next quarter in case you qualify, record keeping remains the same for FRV in either case it just % check needs to be done, another admin headache

Phew! good. Im over the 2% and/or £1000 pa just but didnt want to start adding those figures to. Thank you for your time.

Finally, hopefully there is a way for QF to show exVAT while on FLV. Anyone!?
Even though short lived maybe. :slight_smile:

Hi Milky,
I know the hmrc’s online vat return says ex vat for box six but thats the standard vat form, but those on the FRS have to fill​ it in differently​ as per the hmrc’s instructions for FRS which says including vat for box six

Is there is a way for QF to show exVAT while on FLV scheme. ? Did find this which shows pic of sales ex VAT but not sure this is flat rate. Under “Previewing your VAT Return”

Thanks

There are 2 ways you could potentially do this:

1. The sales nominal codes exclude VAT at their full rate as stated on the invoice (e.g. 20%). Even after the VAT return is submitted, the difference is journalled to a different nominal code (unsure of the code, but it’s something like ‘Flat Rate Adjustments’).

2. The other way you could do this, is download the calculations from your VAT return. This will list all the invoices that are included as part of the return, and their VAT rate at your flat rate %. As the file is .csv and compatible with the likes of Microsoft Excel, you can perform a sum calculation or similar to try and calculate the value

Hi thanks. Im using method 2 at the moment as v simples. I will try 1 later once i understand better. Thank you.