Save an invoice as 'stationary'

I invoice a client and always have to add the same info as a comment line. Can I save a version of this to reuse, like a stationary item. So I don’t have to keep finding the text to copy and paste into the invoice.

A recurring invoice doesn’t work here, the interval time and details differ for every invoice. So maybe I’m asking for a recurring invoice which doesn’t reoccur?

You should just be able to create the new invoice by making a copy of the previous one, you don’t need a specific “template” as such.

I did this with some custom scripts to get a link on the menu to do it.

Making a copy doesn’t work as all the details (the work done, the hours worked, the expenses etc) are different every time. What stays the same are some contract details. TBH its easier to copy and paste those details every time rather than delete all the incorrect lines.

So I thin the answer is, can’t be done. :frowning:

I don’t understand how this can’t be a solution, it answers your query exactly. Create an invoice that has the details you want to copy then simply copy it to save entering the details.

What you can try then is to create an invoice with just those bits filled in, but leave it in “draft” status so it doesn’t get shown to the client. The you can copy that draft invoice when you want to create a new one.

Because that’s not a stationary item. I’d have to delete lines from the copied invoice to create a new one. It’s less work to add my specific lines than delete.

I’ll try this. Not a perfect solution but it might be OK.

I think there’s been some confusion here. Create an invoice with the lines you want to copy. Not sure where you’re getting this “copy an invoice with too many lines” thing from?

Probably!

@ian_roberts first suggested making a copy of the previous invoice.
I said that doesn’t work for me, I’ll have to delete a load of lines from the original invoice and then add the new lines back in. For me its easier to copy the persistent lines than delete the specific invoice items.
That’s why its not a solution for me.

From

The previous one has to many lines to make it easier than just starting afresh with a new invoice.

Sorry if its not clear. It is clear to me there is no mechanism for ‘stationary’ items in QF. Every invoice has to be created from scratch. Or from a draft, as suggested. I’m going to try that and see.

I think you’re taking “previous one” a bit too literally. It doesn’t have to be the previous one, it can be any invoice. The script I posted can also be pointed at any invoice.

Yes, I get it. Each invoice has a line which remains the same for every invoice I issue to that company. Then there are a bunch of specific lines each of which is unique to each invoice.

Your solution is perfect where nothing changes, if I was invoicing for the same product/work/expense every time. But that’s not true for this case. Using your solution I’d have to delete three lines, change the invoice number (and date?) etc. So for me, its easier to start with a new invoice and just copy in my ‘stationary’ line.

Create the invoice with the relevant comment line, then copy it.

I don’t understand where you’re going here. You can’t copy something that changes, you want a recurring invoice that you manually copy. You have got exactly that. You can of course edit this invoice once you’ve copied it but you seem to want the copied invoice to be different every time and somehow need no manual alterations even though it is different every time?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you want or you’re asking for the wrong thing?

No, my solution you would copy an invoice that didn’t have the 3 lines in the first place. Not sure why you keep getting back to this “delete 3 lines” thing?
Also, when you copy the invoice Quickfile will automatically update the number and date. I assume you haven’t actually tried any of these solutions?

Correct on both counts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.