Shared consumables between business and personal use

If I have a printer at home that is 50% used for business and 50% for personal, how do I go about accounting for paper and ink costs.

Same question for my mobile phone, with a £30 contract and say 50% business use?

I am going to guess I use a system similar to vehicle expenses, pay them personally, then create a supplier for expenses (similar to “Expenses - Approved Mileage” for the car) which I have an ongoing purchase for the proportioned costs, and then periodically pay this from the drawings account. Am I close?

Hi @Hactar

There’s an article here on recording expenses that are shared between business and personal use. Hopefully this will help, but if you do need further help, please let me know :slight_smile:

So if i’m reading this correctly, I could buy the ink personally, then create a Purchase Invoice to PC World for the £30 ink cartridges, but only enter them as if they were £15, and then pay it from the drawings account?

Yes, even if the receipt you have from PC World is £30 you’d enter the QuickFile purchase invoice as £15 (the business portion) and mark it as paid from the drawings account.

If the actual payment was from your business account (e.g. debit card) then you’d have a £30 money out on there that you would tag as a transfer to drawings. The net result would then be bank account down by £30, drawings up by £15, and a fully paid purchase for £15.