Tagging

I’m trying to tag a payment to a supplier in my bank current account statement. It is to pay multiple invoices. All outstanding invoices appear after I’ve clicked on the various stages so I can check the relevant ones on the list. However outstanding credit notes don’t appear, one of which is relevant as it reduced the particular payment I’m trying to tag. I believe I assigned the particular credit note in question to a purchase invoice which I’d already paid in full (I received the credit note at a later date once I returned something which I realised wasn’t wanted). So even though the invoice was paid in full, I manually assigned the credit note to it and I can see that it says it has been held on account for use against future purchases - but it doesn’t appear in the list so I can’t check it against the payment (which I’m trying to tag) which I reduced having received it. Please advise why and what I can do. Thanks.

Before you tag the bank payment you will need to go to one of the unpaid purchase invoices and “log payment” from there, there should be the option to “apply from credit” which will take the funds you held on account and use them to reduce the outstanding balance on this purchase. If the credit is more than the value of one invoice you’ll need to do this on several invoices until the whole credit is used up.

Now when you go to tag the bank payment and pay down multiple invoices the amounts should add up nicely.

Thanks for your reply, but when I do as you suggest, it comes up with 'Apply from Credit (GBP 1590.93), whereas the relevant credit note total is £266.40. Does this make sense?

You must have other prepayments or funds held on account from other credit notes as well as this particular one then. I suppose you could try it the other way round, first tag the bank payment applying it to as many invoices as you can before it runs out, leaving (at least) one as part-paid, then use “apply from credit” to pay that one off in full using £266.40 worth of that credit and leaving £1324.53 still held on the supplier’s account.

Okay, I think I’ve done that okay now. Not sure why the remaining credit is held on the supplier’s account as I’ve never noticed it before for any reason. I’m also not sure why the software doesn’t show up all unallocated credit notes on the list of outstanding invoices when you’re in the process of tagging, as I would have thought that would be much easier. But thanks for your help anyway.

Hi @Softley

You can view any account credits using the methods described in this post, which gives you a client-by-client view (or supplier-by-supplier view if you go to the list of suppliers), or this post, which shows an overview.

And if you want to see which specific credits or unallocated payments make up that total, then on the supplier control panel page click “view…” then “all payments”, click the “advanced search” button and search for payments where the “type” is “unallocated”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.