Totally delete the effect of experimentally creating a Credit Note

Hi

I was considering how to deal with a particular situation and, in investigating this, experimentally created my first Credit Note.

(Side note - it was CN00001 - I could not see any way of overriding this numbering system. Is there a way? Or will all CNs produced be CN00001 and sequential from that?)

Realising that for this instance a CN would introduce more problems than it resolved, I then deleted CN00001.
(Nothing was ever done with CN00001 - it was not printed, emailed … nothing.)

However, I now note that if I go to produce a Credit Note, that will be Credit Note CN00002

So, 2 questions please:

• Is there any way of totally removing anything and everything to do with CN00001? - basically it never really existed, I was just seeing if this would be the correct way of dealing with a specific situation and realised it wouldn’t be! However, it seems my first real CN from QF will now be CN00002.
  • Incidental question: Is there a way of changing the format/numbering of Credit Notes as there is with Invoices?

Thanks.

Hi

No, that is not possible except by wiping your account completely.

Here is a link to a feature request, where you can add your vote, to be able to change the cn number

1 Like

No, and this is by design - no invoice, purchase or credit note is ever truly deleted, they’re always viewable in the deleted list to maintain an audit trail.

But it doesn’t really matter to anyone which number is generated for your next credit note - the customer never knows how many credit notes you have raised in the past. Likewise with invoices, you’re supposed to use sequential numbering but the sequence doesn’t have to start from 1, and some businesses deliberately start their sequence from some random number like 573 so it looks to customers like they’ve already been trading a while.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the response

Rather too drastic, as there’s now just shy of 9 months of accounts and 2 completed VAT returns all in place!

A further question then, based on an alternate approach to what I wish to achieve.

Is there a way of undeleting the deleted Credit Note?

Thanks

Yes, On the the screen with all your sales invoices, scroll down. At the bottom right you can see Deleted

Tick that box.
Now, look for your deleted CN and tick the box in front of the line.

If done. scroll up and click on More Options and on Restore selected.

Hope this helps

1 Like

I would also like to be able to overwrite credit note numbers. We don’t issue very many credit notes (maybe one or two a year), but they follow the invoice number sequence.

Hi

Here is a link where you could add your vote. Unfortunately, the post is closed at the moment but the support team is maybe able to open it again.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.