Trying to get to grips with accruals and the 0030 nominal account

So I’ve realized that in my last completed tax year 13/14 I had been allocating some purchases as “Office Equipment” which probably wouldn’t be considered Assets. (Low value stuff which is actually office equipment)

There are a couple of +£500 purchases which I believe are assets (correctly in the office equipment account) and I think I’ve managed to set up a journal to depreciate the value of those over subsequent years.

I foolishly thought that by paying for Quickfile’s end of year accounts service stuff like this would be sorted out but it’s unclear exactly what the end of year accounts service is actually for.

Anyway. What should I do? As I understand it all the items in that years “office equipment”(0030) nominal account will not be deducted from my net takings in that year and as such I will have paid Income tax on those items in that year.

Do I go back and move those non assets from that 0030 and correct My self assessment online with HMRC?

Or do I depreciate them in later years?

Or give up entirely!?!

You can certainly journal these items out of 0030 to a P&L code. Those larger items can be depreciated later if you prefer. You just need to journal in the depreciation on the last day of your next accounting period using one of the approved methods.

Thanks Glenn,
How do you suggest structuring the depreciation? I’ve read the Journal entry in the knowledge base. There are a few items in the nominal account. As far as I can tell there is not a way to in QF Tag or link the Journal entries to the items I’m trying to depreciate.

I think from searching that you said it was difficult to implement a “depreciate this asset” button for invoices. This would be ideal for me but in it’s absence is there no other way to keep track of what’s going on? I was trying to use the project tagging system to keep everything together but that doesn’t work with Journals either.

Just to quote another post:

That will be Journal

Dr 8004 - Office Equipment Depreciation
Cr 0031 - Office Equipment Depreciation

Depreciation not allowed for tax purpose but it would be shown in accounts, tax wise you get allowances instead

There’s no automated way to journal in depreciation from a purchase invoice. But unless you need very accurate management accounts or you have huge amounts of depreciation to account for you can usually just do this once before the year-end.

Are you saying I can depreciate the whole years nominal account together?

You don’t need to log depreciation incrementally by week or month. Typically you would just figure out how much you want to depreciated an asset over the accounting period and then log a single depreciation journal on the last day of the accounting year.

I should say I’m not an accountant, but if you have any doubt I would recommend seeking further advice from a qualified accountant.

Yes I just did. Too complex for me to grasp.

I did try last year through Quickfile account year end process but that was a waste of money.

Thanks Glenn. This is a great system you guys have made!