VAT and personal use of a Leased Car

Hi, I have a query about Car Leasing VAT & Private use.

Part 1 is an accounting query.

I have a self-employed client who is going to lease a car which will have some personal use & the car has high emissions. So to make the maths a bit easier, lets say that the monthly gross lease costs are £600. I know that we can only claim 50% of the VAT so that would mean Gross £600 VAT £50 and Net £550. Because the car has high emissions 15% needs to be deducted from the Net and there is 5% personal use so we have a 20% deduction off of the Net, and can now only claim 80% for expenses.

My question is can we claim 80% of the £550 (£440) or because of the original 50% VAT bit, can we only claim 80% of half of the net i.e. 80% of £275 (£220) ?

And Part 2.

How on earth do I record this into QuickFile to ensure everything matches up to the original amount of £600 coming out of the bank account.

Thanks in advance of any advise you lovely people can offer.

Hello @Unibooks

My question is can we claim 80% of the £550 (£440) or because of the original 50% VAT bit, can we only claim 80% of half of the net i.e. 80% of £275 (£220) ?

You are best to consult an accountant for processional advice on what you can or can not claim.

I found a couple of forum posts which may answer your second question.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.