Vat calculations with bridging

I’m trying to do a VAT return using the bridging module but I can’t seem to download any calculations before being asked to upload the spreadsheet… Help someone!

What would you expect the calculations to contain if you haven’t uploaded any data?

I was trying to download the figures to make up the return spreadsheet but can’t find where to get them

Hi @ProdExch

Just to confirm - the bridging module is if you’re importing VAT figures from elsewhere, such as another accounting package that isn’t MTD ready.

The figures you upload would be based on your own calculations - QuickFile wouldn’t do any calculations on the bridging module.

The guide in the knowledgebase goes through this but you can map different cells/sheets etc so there is no fixed base. All you need is a spreadsheet with all the totals on it somewhere.

Understood. I do a group VAT return for three different sets of accounts all held on QF. I can download the quarterly figures on the two accounts that I do not use to submit directly to HMRC but the third which uses the bridging module doesn’t let me take the quarterly figures and put them into the spreadsheet before I upload that spreadsheet and submit to HMRC. Does that clarify?

HI @ProdExch

Thanks for your reply.

Because of the nature of the bridging module, you wouldn’t be able to view the figures as they are provided in the upload provided by the user.

I suspect you’ll need a fourth QuickFile account that you use only for the bridging VAT return.

So how do I build the spreadsheet to upload without the figures?

I think you might be right. I’ve tried to disable MTD from the QF account but still can’t access the raw data …

The point of the bridging module is for people who are using another (non-QuickFile) accounting package that doesn’t support MTD and just need a way to take the VAT figures from that other package and submit them to HMRC in an MTD-compliant way. If you’re set up with the bridging module the assumption is that you’re only using QuickFile for bridging MTD submissions, and not using the same QuickFile account to actually store your accounting data.

If you tick “use MTD features” on again then you should see another checkbox further down saying “Bridging Module” - that’s the one you need to untick to re-enable the normal VAT return screen.

I’ve unticked Enable Online Filing but still can’t get back to the normal VAT return screen.

@ProdExch - Can I just double check that this is the box you have unticked?

And you still have Use MTD Features ticked, and a HMRC account linked to your QuickFile account?

I’ve unticked the bridging Module box, I still have the MTD Features ticked, the account is linked to HMRC. When I press Create New VAT Return now nothing happens at all

Let me send you a private message to get some more details from you.

OK thanks. Do you need an email address?

No problem! I’ve just sent you the private message here, so you should see a green notification in the top right corner shortly.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.