VAT payment not appearing in QF bank acount

I have used the autofile facility for my VAT return and the payment has been taken by HMRC using d/d but the payment is not showing in my QF bank account. How do I process that?

Which bank are you with? Even if the transaction shows in your online banking some banks have an annoying habit of changing the description and date of things like card payments between the time authorisation was taken and the time the payment actually cleared. QuickFile has to delay the yodlee feed by a few days with these banks to make sure it doesn’t accidentally import the same transaction twice.

Most banks don’t feed through card payments at all until they’re completely cleared, so once a transaction appears in the feed it is guaranteed not to change, and for those banks it is safe to import things as soon as they appear.

Hi Ian

sorry - maybe I didn’t explain properly.
I’m with Bank of Scotland and it has gone from there and appears in my statements.
But it doesn’t show in my Quickfile version of the bank account.
Do I need to make some sort of posting to get it there?

How do you normally update your bank statement view in QuickFile? Do you have an automatic feed or are you importing the transactions from CSV?

You can theoretically just manually add the entry to the bank and then tag is a VAT payment. Although it’s useful to know how you’re updating your bank statement view in QuickFile to ensure everything is working correctly there.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I don’t update bank statements at all in Quickfile - I don’t know how to - perhaps if there is any training material out there, you could point me to it.

Normally I raise sales invoices and record payments
Similarly with purchase invoices

I don’t know how to process VAT returns - it seemed to be automatic when I used the system to file the return with HMRC.

There are a few different ways you can work in QuickFile. Your method is absolutely fine, it will just mean that you need to complete any missing entries on your bank and manually tag them (there is a specific option for VAT payments). This process is known as bank reconciliation.

The other method is to setup a bank feed or import your bank statement from a spreadsheet file. Then your bank statement will be complete, but you will need to tag each item to explain whether it’s say a sales invoice payment, expense, tax payment, salary deduction etc. You can say for example raise your invoice as normal without marking as paid, then import your statement and link the money in on the bank as a payment to the invoice.

We work with a partner company called Yodlee for automatic bank feeds, you can find out more about this feature here:

Yodlee Bank Feeds

We have a section in our Knowledge Base “Getting Started” that you may also want to refer to.

Knowledgebase - Getting Started

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.