Vat return message

hello.

i have been using quickfile since the start of MTD usage.

i file every quarter my vat returns . today im fileing return afer trying to submit im getting a message about bridging module. i only use quickfile 4 times a year for vat returns.

Hi @trowel,

It sounds like you are doin your bookeeping outside of quickfile. If this is the case then you are required to use the bridging module. The MTD returns require there to be an electronic record to back up the submitted figures. You are not allowed to manually enter figures into each box (an adjustment only return)

sorry, i dont understand, we have been doing it this way for a few years, has something changed. we are being asked to pay over £45.00 for bridging module

Hi @trowel.

These rules are dictated by HMRC and came about with MTD. QuickFile however has never previously enforced this

sorry are you saying to complete our quarterly vat returns on quickfile we need to pay to use the bridging module,

i dont understand as to why after these years of using quickfile since MTD came into force, we now need to use a bridging module and have to pay for it. quickfile say on their costing page we are a small business we dont pay.

question
how do we submit our vat returns on quickfile
without now having to paying the bridging module.

please see this article regarding the bridging module: VAT Bridging

If you are doing your bookeeping through QuickFile then when you run the return it will populate the boxes automatically - no need to use the bridging module and if your account remains under 1000 ledger entries per year then there will also be no charge

we dont do our bookeeping through quickfile.

ive read the vat bridging, our account is only 4 times a year. vat is donr every quarter. we do not use quick file for our bookeeping.

sorry im not that great with computers.

how do we set up onging vat returns with out this message coming up and asking for money, or will it want us to pay as we dont use quickfile for our bookeeping.

ca you please guide us through how to set up, to enable us to send quarterly vat returns . we do n ot use quickfile for our bookkeeping

If you do not use QuickFile for your bookeeping then to continue to submit your returns through QuickFile you will be required to pay the subscription and use the bridging module

ok, if we pay the subscription, am i right we dont have to use your bookeeping.

sorry not used to computers as i said,

how do we set up the payment and vat returns for each quarter.

Hi @trowel

That’s correct, you don’t need to use QuickFile for bookkeeping. The bridging module will allow you to upload an excel file or CSV (like an export from your existing accounts package), and submit the figures to HMRC.

As @QFBeth mentioned, under MTD rules, adjustment only returns aren’t permitted, but the bridging option is allowed as the backing figures are from a digital source.

You can obtain the power user subscription by going to Help >> Additional Services

I hope that makes sense?

Hi, this is my first post.
We are like Trowel. Our accounting is simple, and had to use an intermediary for MTD. We chose you guys. As a home based consultancy we generate 4-6 invoices monthly with little overheads.

Quote “These rules are dictated by HMRC and came about with MTD. QuickFile however has never previously enforced this”

As of now, have Quickfile now enforced this? Binary answer, yes or no?
If yes why now?
Is bridging free for <1000 ledger entries?

Hi @iansimpson

Yes, we have enforced this for MTD accounts. This is because any return submitted to HMRC through MTD needs to have electronic backing records. This is to help prevent money laundering.

The first return you submit through the Bridging Module is free, however, you will subsequently need to have a Power user Subscription which is £45 per year.

Thanks for that. QFBeth from support team repliede 6days ago
“No need to use the bridging module and if your account remains under 1000 ledger entries per year then there will also be no charge”
You say “The first return you submit through the Bridging Module is free, however, you will subsequently need to have a Power user Subscription which is £45 per year”
Who is is correct
Obviously it was a complete pain in the neck that HMRC did this for businesses like us who have such simple accounting needs that QuickBooks is overkill. Please forgive my frustration.

Hi @iansimpson,

You need to look at the full sentence here, there is no charge if you do your bookeeping through QuickFile and generate your returns using the data that has been entered in QuickFile and remain under 1,000 nominal ledger entries.

If you do your accounting outside of QuickFile and just use it for uploading your return to HMRC using MTD then you are required to use the bridging module. MTD requires a digital copy of the data to be linked to the return - you are not allowed to do an adjustment only return.

The bridging module allows the first return to be submitted without the need to purchase the Subscription but if you continue to use the bridging module then you will be required to purchase the PUS.

Details of the VAT Bridging can be found here: VAT Bridging

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.