Website Outage - 19th October

Hi @DaveC

Our mail server is currently playing catch up and sending out emails from yesterday and today. It will take a short while, but emails are being sent.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply & thanks for all your hard work over the past couple of days, I can only imagine what its been like ! :scream:

1 Like

My mycompany.quickfile.co.uk dashboard is now working again reliably, but Iā€™m still getting the cloudflare 522 errors from the web service API endpoint (https://quickfile.co.uk/WebServices/API/invoices.ashx) - it is definitely talking to the correct cloudflare IP addresses but not getting any response from the back end. Any ideas? Iā€™ll give it another night to settle down and try again tomorrow.

Actually, further tests with curl rather than my normal API client suggest itā€™s intermittent, maybe some of your back-end servers are working but others arenā€™t?

Quickfile IS a great product BUT when this sort of issue arises, it shows the size of a company. We are still not back online despite DNS flushes, Firefox DNS addons, different browsers, etc, etc.

nothing seems to get this workingā€¦ I have tried using proxysite.com to see if I can get it working that way but the invoices screen does not load up (just says loading invoices).
Virgin Media say itā€™s not an issue from their side and have suggested I speak to someone at Quickfile - it is unfortunate there is nobody to actually speak to. Is there no way quickfile can have another website page we can go to and it diverts to the correct page ?

@Rocky638 - have you tried amending the DNS server your computer uses to see if that works? Everything is accessible from our side, which means unfortunately itā€™s not something weā€™re able to control, however DNS is likely to be the cause. If youā€™re running Windows 8 or 10, there is a guide posted on our forums which can help with us. Of course, if you need further help, weā€™ll always try our best to get this resolved for you.

@vikstar - as per the above, have you tried changing the DNS settings? While it is done at your own risk (IT support is outside the scope of QuickFile support), many non-technical users have followed the steps successfully. Providing a phone number for support isnā€™t feasible unfortunately. We use a centralised forum to help keep costs low for our users.

If I change the DNS settings will it impact my other settings for other hardware? i.e. tv web, ipad, macbook, xbox etc etc ?

If you change them on your computer (as per our guide), then it will only affect anything on the computer. However, nothing should stop working.

In simple terms, the DNS server is the address book tells your computer where our sever ā€˜livesā€™ on the internet. Youā€™re just changing the address book :slight_smile:

YAY mine is back up and running and I didnā€™t do any of the techy stuff, just waited for your guys magic to take place :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok, I have changed DNS settings and it appears to be working now. I hope it has not messed-up any of my other internet settings for other websites or hardware.

As I said above, the DNS settings is just like the address book that your computer finds out where particular websites are located on the web. The worst thing you may notice is some websites may be a little bit slower when you access them for the first time.

But Iā€™m glad you got it working :slight_smile:

are you putting any new measures in place to avoid such cyber attacks in the future? - I do really like quickfile and pay for the service every year but canā€™t afford to have this downtime again.

Of course, weā€™ve moved our services behind a DDoS mitigation service provided by cloudflare, which helps protect the service.

We posted more information in the pinned announcement that night:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/notice-website-outtage-19th-october/13927/

While DDoS attacks are not unique to QuickFile, we have taken steps to help protect our services from this type of scenario in the future.

You can learn more about cloudflare on their website.

Do you have any information about which ISPs are working and which are not. I am with Virgin Media.

1 Like

Hi @karltonks

We donā€™t Iā€™m afraid, but it can depend on a few factors, ISPs being one of them.

However, @vikstar mentioned above that they also used Virgin Media and were experiencing issues.

If you take a look at our guide for DNS settings changes, this should allow you to get back into your account.

I still have no functionality at all. Is there something I can do to try and get it on sooner? My ISP is Talktalk.

yes, @karltonks we have Virgin Media and I changed the DNS as advised by quickfile and it seems to work but of course itā€™s at your own risk.

@stephen_roebuck - you can trying changing your DNS settings which should resolve the issue.

There are instructions for Windows 8 and 10 here:
Changing DNS Settings - Windows 8/10

If youā€™re not running either of these, let me know and Iā€™ll see if I can find a guide for you

Hi, Iā€™ve sent quote to the customer this morning but I can not see it in my sent folder in ms outlook ?

@vikstar we have a little lag on our mail scheduling service at the moment. I presume youā€™re using your own SMTP setup? It should have sent within the next 20 mins.