What is tagging?

Hi. I’m struggling to get started with QF as a new user. I don’t understand what it means by “tagging”? What’s the purpose of this? What will this do? For now I just want to do my quarterly VAT, and then do accounts for last month of P&L which my accountant doesn’t have. My book keeper did all this before she ceased trading suddenly due to personal issues. I’m left in the lurch at short notice and am struggling to get started. Have managed to connect all bank accounts and upload all invoices, receipts. No way can I upload individual customers and suppliers. That will take weeks. Sales are from ecommerce. I’m stuck. QF isn’t as easy for as many in community say it is. Can some one please help to get started?

Hi @Buttercup

The best place to start is in the knowledge base and the search feature on the forums. This covers a lot of the questions you’re likely to have.

Tagging a transaction simply associates a bank transaction to an invoice, a transfer, a payment to a supplier, and so on. They’re quite flexible but it helps with things like the VAT calculations. We have a useful guide on this, here: Tagging your bank transactions

It’s good practice to create a new client or supplier record to help with filtering invoices (e.g. you can see exactly who owes what, or what you owe and where), but it’s not always practical to do this, if for example you’re selling on Amazon, eBay or similar. In this case, you can create a generic client and call it “Amazon Sales”, or “Website Sales” - what ever is appropriate. This post may help: VAT for amazon seller Do I have to create an invoice for each sale? - #2 by rhc

The key thing is, if HMRC ever ask you to prove a transaction took place, could you? With things like the bulk sales, you would usually attach a report from the relevant place. So, you could attach a daily sales report for example.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you @QFMathew for responding. I read the Knowledge Base Articles. But still don’t understand. Do I give each invoice / receipt a unique file name before uploading? Or however I receive I upload and QF will read the document and link it to the bank / credit card / paypal transactions? I uploaded all 2021 electronic invoices / receipts, but none show up in a report. I can see monthly graphs since signing up to QF. It would so help to be shown once the basics for reporting. Reading without a step by step manual guide in a very simple format is difficult.

The problem here is Quickfile is an accounts package that would assume you knew the basics, and as there is no one size fits all solution or workflow there isn’t a step by step guide as there are so many steps and routes to achieving essentially the same thing.

I’ve made a mistake of uploading credit card statements. Statements are nor recognised by QF it appears. Only transactions. You’re right @Lurch , QF is for those who have some accounting basics.

Statements should be recognised but credit cards are the opposite to bank statements so they can import wrong. I think I’ve seen some guides on this but it’ll probably involve some editing of the statement. I started using quickfile with no accounts knowledge what so ever and very happy with it now. Is there anything thats causing you issues a part from the statement?

Hello @Spike I’m not able to upload sales invoices which from my ecommerce site can only download as PDFs, not .CSV files. Most supplier credit card and bank transactions are tagging but not getting assigned to invoices. Some invoices have mixed VAT and non-VAT purchases. Don’t know how to split these invoices. Don’t have invoices for asset loans which have VAT applied for repayment. Can’t change reconcile start dates for Stripe and PayPal transactions. Their fees are showing up, but QF can’t tell difference between PayPal purchase and PayPal sale. So far all is very messy.

I don’t think you can import pdfs only csv files. But could you get a daily total from your site rather than each sale and just input them manually? May be the cash register tool could help with this. Its not something I use but I’ve looked at it before. It’s under the sales menu I think but you just enter your totals and it creates the invoices for you. With purchases whenever I enter my purchases I can enter a couple of lines and set the vat for each. What start dates are you trying to change and where? Do you mean the dates of the transactions?

Tools - import - import sales invoices

Upload a spreadsheet with all sales data

Columns are date, description, gross total, vat total, vat rate, nominal code.

Just enter them all on one spreadsheet.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.