Affinity slient sharing with another agent

Hi, I currently use Affinity and have about 40/50 or thereabouts of my clients there. I work closely with a tax consultant who completes some of the clients’ end of year accounts. They use affinity as well and when I try to add them to my team to view our shared clients I get an error message that their email has already been registered with you.

Is there any way around this for agents? I understand you need to limit emails to stop some from taking advantage of the free packages, but for the likes of ourselves that need to share accounts from one affinity user to another surely that’s not an issue as we’re already paying for them? The only way I can think to get around this is for the client to remove me temporarily and add the tax consultant, then add me back again, but some of my clients don’t use the software themselves to even take this step.

Hello @Mushroom

The only way around this would be to use an alternative email for them.

Either one they already have or you could create an email address for them and give them access to it

Then add it to your team in Affinity

Depending on your email provider, you should be able to use plus addressing to keep the same email account but have a different address. There are lots of places that recognise a plus address as different; I don’t know if Quickfile does.

What I mean is, say your email address is mushroom@accountant.co.uk, you could have mushroom+tax@accountant.co.uk; a different email address but will go to the same email account. Google Suite does this and many others do this, but I don’t think it is universal. If not, you may be able to have an alias address or a forwarder that would help you in a similar way.

I did set up another free email for an accountant I share clients with, problem is he emailed me the other day asking what it was. Unfortunately as it isn’t the one he uses within his business he quickly forgot it when finished the self assessments last year. Its creating several layers of admin for me that I was hoping would be unnessary. I can see the logic of limiting the use of emails multiple times but for affinity users like myself it seems a bit pointless, unless there’s something I’m missing? If the program even allowed for affinity users to both host company files they share it would save a lot of hassle. One client has given his personal login details to his accountant because I can’t add him to my team. This isn’t ideal for the obvs reasons.

Hi @Mushroom .
I’m not sure that I was clear enough. Let’s say the accountant you work with has an email address of david@otheraccountants.com

1. Try to send an email to david+mushroom@otheraccountants.com (or another such plus alias that relates to your business); see if he gets it.
  2. If he does, next see if Quickfile will take that password for a new user.
  3. If it does, then you’re in business. He can use this address to login with but everything will go to his existing account.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.