Allocate a part payment from a supplier

The exact amounts have been simplified but here is my scenario, when a mobile contract ended I received an Invoice for £10 relating to the last few days’ service and a Credit Note relating to a refund of a deposit, but in my actual bank I received a refund by way of a payment of £40 and no DD was taken.

In QF I have created the invoice unpaid and created the credit note against an earlier invoice. If when creating the credit note I choose the option to refund the money it produces a bank entry for £50 which does not exist, so I chose to hold funds on the supplier account.

This then allows me to pay the £10 invoice from the supplier funds and doesn’t create a bank entry, which is correct, leaving £40 on the supplier account.

Unfortunately I am now stuck, there is no option (that I can find) to receive this money from the supplier screen; I can create a manual £40 credit in the banking screen, but if I try to tag it as a refund from a supplier, it forces me to choose an invoice and even if I choose the same invoice I have already credited, it incorrectly creates a new credit note and allocates the payment, leaving the existing £40 on the supplier account.

This seems as though it should be something really simple!

Thanks in advance for any help coming my way!

Hi @Mark_Manning

The good news is, it is pretty straight forward to sort out. I’ve included a link below on how to refund this difference for a client, but the same concept applies to a supplier too:
Refund client overpayment

This will in turn create your £40 bank transaction for you (pre-tagged), so you would just need to delete the on you’ve already entered to avoid it being duplicated.

I hope this helps?

Hi, that was the good news, the bad news is that I’ve now hit another stumbling block. The £10 invoice had a negative VAT element and the automatic allocation has gone horribly wrong - although the supplier balance is showing correctly, it’s actually showing that more of the £50 has been attributed to it and some of that is unallocated, then the credit note shows the correspondingly lower amount. I can’t delete the credit note to start again as it tells me that payments are locked.

@Mark_Manning - I’m going to send you a private message to see what’s going on here. Please look for a green notification in the top right hand corner.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.