Apply Trading Style to Recurring Invoice Template

I’ve added this as a feature request as I don’t think there is a way to do this.

I have several trading styles and each one works in a completely different field/area. I have several clients who I do work for in all of these areas and these clients also get billed using recurring invoices. Most of them currently have recurring invoices sent from one of the trading styles only so as a workaround I can set those clients to that style by default for now. The problem comes when some of them have recurring invoices sent from multiple trading styles, which is going to happen.

Hi @Lurch

There’s going to be a bit of complication with this I think. At the moment the trading style has everything in it’s own right - trading name, address, telephone number, email address, etc.

Part of the reason it’s been done this way, is if the client logs into their client control panel they will see only that trading style’s information (hence, it’s set at a client level rather than invoice level).

We can certainly consider tweaking this to perhaps work on an invoice-by-invoice basis. Can I clarify though if it’s a completely different trading style, or if it’s just for invoicing purposes?

I think probably just for invoicing. The invoices still have the “xyz is a trading name of abc ltd” and the emails etc all come from abc ltd domains so it’s no issue for the client to have the default style applied but have the recurring invoices send out invoices using a trading style template. It’s exactly how I do it for another business anyway but manually at the moment.

So taking on board the complexities of making the entire trading style apply to the client on the invoice just being able to apply the trading style to the invoice itself (recurring or manual) would suffice whilst leaving the client default style as is.

Thanks for clarifying.

For the time being, I’ll leave this thread open for other users to add their comments, but I’ll let you know if anything changes here.

1 Like

I’ve come across an issue with using the workaround for this now.

I have a client who I have set a default trading style for. Recurring invoices went out fine, no issues there. The problem comes now I want to raise an invoice with no trading style applied (invoicing directly from the main company name). I can’t see a way to do this other than having to go to the client modify screen and change the default style, raise the invoice, then go and change it back, which is obviously not a viable solution.

There needs to be a way to change the applied trading style per invoice, which I guess behind the scenes would be the same mechanism whether it was used by the recurring invoice or by the user to manually set the style. I would expect this to be separate to the default style, i.e. default style could be none but recurring invoices might be Style 1 and I might want to raise an invoice manually for Style 2.