Bank Feed rules for short references

I think this is really a feature request, though it could possibly be regarded as a (not very serious) bug.

A payment comes through on the bank feed with the reference “M&S”. I click “Tag Me” and the message “A similar transaction to this was previously tagged as a General Purchases payment to Marks & Spencer.” and I click “Confirm again”.

Then the message “Would you like to setup a tagging rule to auto-match in future?” appears. I can click “Yes create a rule for next time”, but I know tagging rules for short references like “M&S” won’t work. A rule isn’t created (no error message to say it hasn’t worked) and, as expected, the next M&S purchase doesn’t trigger a rule and the process proceeds as above.

The anomaly is that tagging rules don’t recognise this transaction but SOMETHING elsewhere in the code DOES recognise it as a repeat (hence the “A similar transaction to this…” message).

So my feature request is to merge those two repeat transaction detection algorithms into one, so a rule that works for future repeats can be created.

Our accountants are now having to re-do all the allocations due to the anomaly or is it more likely poor website flow design as this is a core functionality that is costing us money to correct.
Its a poor reflection on the software which has lead our Chartered accountants to advise Against using the software at all in favour of other standard software that does not have that issue.