Bank tagging - can't find invoice

I have a question about bank tagging. I’m trying to tag items in my bank statement. I have, for example and item for £124. If i click “Tag Me” then search i can’t find the corresponding payment. However, if i go to “show all sales”, click on View for that particular sale (for £124),click on “A payment #SP000xxx has been attributed to this invoice”, then “view bank entry” it will show it as tagged. I don;'t have any duplicates.
please help - i’m sure there’s a simple answer but i can’t find it!

Hello @Jon_Russ

The transaction on the bank statement would be tagged against an invoice. If the invoice has been paid in full, then you wouldn’t be able to attach another payment to it (because there’s no balance outstanding).

Just to clarify - are you trying to tag the payment against an unpaid invoice?

Many thanks for replying.
If the invoice has been paid in full why would I get a “Tag Me!” option in my bank statement, rather than “Tagged”?
The invoices have been paid, which I’ve flagged in the “invoice management” section (“update as paid”). If i view a particular sales item which i know has been paid in my bank statement it says “Tag Me!” but if i go into the invoice management section, click on view, then the link which states “a payment xxx has been attributed to this item”, then view bank entry it shows up as tagged.

so i’m trying to determine why in the bank statement the item gives the option to tag it, while in the invoice management section, the link to the bak entry says tagged

The “Update as Paid” option will create a pre-tagged bank transaction for you, so it’s likely the one you’re seeing the “Tag me!” option for is a duplicate.

What I would suggest doing is deleting the untagged entry (seems the invoice has been tagged using the above method), and then carrying out a bank recon against your online banking account just to ensure your bank balance is correct. There’s a guide on how to do this here: Reconciling your bank

But wouldn’t I see duplicate entries in my bank statement? one tagged and one untagged?

You should, yes. Although the description is likely to be different, depending on where the untagged entry came from.

At the top of the invoice, if you click the view all the payments:

Then click the transaction you wish to view (I’m assuming you only have the one in this case):

This will reveal the button to view the exact transaction it has created:

Which shows, something like this:

But as you can see, it actually shows all transactions for this day, but highlights the one in particular that you’ve viewed. But this should at least identify the transaction associated with this invoice.

Can I also just confirm - has the invoice been paid in full?

ah, thanks you so much for your help and i have found duplicates!!! i think it is something to do with the logged payment dates and will look into this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.