Bank transaction disappeared after editing journal

When I edited the journal linked to a salary payment (after turning “Post Net Wages to Balance Sheet only” on) and went back to the bank account page, that salary transaction was no longer there.

I tried it again on the next salary payment, which also disappeared.

Am I doing something wrong (in which case, please help me with what), or is that how it’s meant to work?

Hi @FTG

Was the journal created from a bank transaction (e.g. by tagging wages)?

If so, there’s likely to be a line there which is what created the bank transaction in the first place. If you remove this, it will remove the bank transaction.

What changes are you making when you edit the journal?

Yes the journal was created from the banking transaction I tagged as being salary.

I’m not sure what you mean by “If so, there’s likely to be a line there which is what created the bank transaction in the first place. If you remove this, it will remove the bank transaction.” - the entries on the banking page are from an imported .qif file. I tagged them as salary, then edited the journal (which made them disappear). - The journal didn’t create the banking transaction.

I’m changing the journal to look more like the example in here:

i.e. adding lines for gross wages, PAYE, NI etc, and removing the existing lines (because the automatically created journal entry added the amount as Net wages, but they’re gross wages).

When you tag a bank transaction in this way, it’s converted to a journal, so in effect the transaction is part of the journal itself. If you remove the line from the journal which is tied to one of your bank nominal codes (e.g. 1200), then it will remove the bank transaction too.

Thanks! Do I need to add the bank transactions back in by hand now?

Yes you do need to. Otherwise how would your bank account balance?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.