Banking cash infrequently

New user. I have a mobile event photography business and use a cash register to record sales (cash and credit card combined)
I bank cash infrequently and it can often include 2 or 3 weeks transactions. How do I deal with this?

It doesn’t matter how frequently you bank the cash. Once it is banked you can then create the ‘transfer’ transactions between the bank and the relevant cash account (petty cash etc.) Depending on which accounts you have used to set it up: Cash Register Tool

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

So I don’t have to split the cash deposited and allocate it to a specific day’s takings?

No, you don’t have to split it :slight_smile:

It depends how you’re recording things. If you’re using the cash register tool or an equivalent workflow, i.e. creating a sales invoice for each day or week’s sales with the cash payments into a cash “bank account” in QuickFile and the card payments paid into a merchant account, then receiving money from the card provider or putting cash into the bank is purely a balance sheet transaction, moving money you already own from one place (the cash account) to another (the current account). The sales have already been apportioned to the correct day or week by virtue of when you created the sales invoices.

If you’re currently not creating the sales invoice(s) until the money hits your current account then you ought to change to the “cash register tool” method that Beth linked to - HMRC rules say that you’re supposed to treat cash sales as paid on the day you receive the cash, and card sales as paid on the day you authorise the card payment (not waiting until you receive the funds).

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.