Bug Report of Creating Bank Rules

Sometimes when I go to do this I am offered the chance to create a rule and sometimes I am not offered a chance. This seems to be a bug.!. I have spent ages studying the items where rule creations is offered and where not and I cannot fathom why so often I cannot create a rule

rule creation offered

Hi @Whitchurch_Shed

Are you able to share the transaction description from the first screenshot please? If you prefer, you can send this in a private message.

Even if you’re not offered the opportunity to create a bank tagging rule here, you can still create them manually by going to Banking >> Bank Tagging Rules.

I think you can see it in this picture.

Hi @Whitchurch_Shed

Thanks for these!

I’ve checked with our development team, and there are 2 conditions which cause the option for a bank tagging rule to appear:

• There’s a number at the end of a string of text (e.g. a reference number)
  • Or the string is longer than 12 characters

With the one you posted above, which does suggest a rule, this is longer than 12 characters.

So is the one that doesn’t.

Sorry but your answer confused me slightly.

I think you MAY mean

Two thing cause option to appear.
1 number at end of description
2 description SHORTER that 12 characters.

Further to the above I have downloaded a block of data from the bank account and then put in Excel and put a column in to get the length of all the description strings. This is the result, you will see that very few are less than 12 characters. A large proportion of these descriptions are generated by the senders bank as many are the Charities Membership Subscription Standing Orders - and that description obviously gets repeated the next time the bank acts on the standing order. Editing descriptions to make them shorter than 12 characters would not help as the scan only happens when the Statement dump is first uploaded.
Only solution I can see is some sort of customized Excel spreadsheet to preprocess the upload but surely I should not need to devise that just to get around a filed length restriction

Sorry - you’re right! Let me double check this with our development team to be sure I’ve understood this correctly, and I’ll confirm shortly.

@Whitchurch_Shed - Let me send you a private message to get some account details from you.

What I mentioned above in regards to the triggers, is correct. So this should work. But we’ll take a closer look to see what’s going on for you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.