Cancelled payment from PayPal

I would like to understand how to deal with “Cancelled payments from PayPal”.
I allocated a payment to a club member for expenses via PayPal. For some reason, the club member did not claim that payment and PayPal duly cancelled the transaction.
I’m left with an item in the PayPal merchant account that has not been tagged.
Could you advise on how to cleanly tidy up the PayPal account?
Thank you

It should be possible to tag the returned funds in the PayPal merchant account as a “Client Refund”. Once you nominate the client you will then see a list of matching invoices that you can tag the refund to.

Can you confirm if the amount returned matches the original sales invoice amount?

I have attempted your solution by nominating the “Supplier” as I had generated a purchase order with his detailed expenses but this did not work. The amounts are the same…

QF returns

Blockquote
Invoices with items posted to more than one nominal account will not appear here. For such cases a manual credit note will need to be applied.
No qualifying purchases could be found to refund against. Make sure the corresponding purchase has been logged before you attempt to process this refund.
Am I doing something wrong?

It sounds like the original invoice has more than one nominal code assigned to it. In this case, you would need to raise the credit note manually from the original invoice (More Options >> Credit Note), and when you save it, it will give you the option to mark it as a refund. This would then create the bank transaction for you too.

The process that you suggested did create an additional transaction for the refund but I’m still left with CANCELED PAYMENT: 6YB18132KE039700A. What shall I do with that?

If it’s just a duplicate of the transaction created by the credit note, you can safely delete it.

Providing everything balances at the end of it, you should be good to go :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.