Cannot modify client to make VAT exempt

I have seen other posts on this topicsuch as this one that say that I should click “modify client details” and I should see 3 radio buttons that allow me to mark the client as VAT exempt. However, I see no such options. The options do not appear when creating a new client either. As a result, all the income from this client is being erroneously add to my VAT return.

Any ideas?

The way special VAT situations are handled has changed in the last year or so - I don’t think you have to allow exempt on a per client basis any more, just expand the additional vat options section at the bottom of the invoice editor and tick the appropriate box.

This seems a more sensible way around to me since whether a particular sale is exempt depends on what you’re selling, not on who you are selling it to.

This post gives a good explanation of when to use each option and the effect it has on your VAT return. In particular note that VAT exempt sales should still be included in box 6.

Thanks for the information. I have followed your instructions and it worked. As a piece if feedback, I would suggest that it is sensible to allow both a default for the customer and an option to change on an invoice per invoice basis. In my case, I am selling the same service (consultancy) to this Irish client every time and every invoice is thus exempt. It is not a major issue to have to set this every time but it would be nice to have a default.

Thanks again for the advice on the current behaviour.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.