Carriage + Postage & Carriage Codes

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the difference between the Carriage + Postage & Carriage Nominal Codes?

Thank you in advance.

Ash

There are three carriage related codes, I can’t remember off the top of my head which is which but the one in the purchases range (“carriage”?) is for delivery charges you pay to your suppliers to have them deliver things to you, the one in the overheads range (“postage & carriage”?) is for fees you pay to delivery companies to deliver your products to your customers, and the one in the sales range (“distribution & carriage”?) is for use on sales invoices for when you charge your customers to have their goods delivered.

Some people seem to have three nominals for this and some two. I think it may depend if you are a sole trader or a limited company.

If you just have Carriage and Postage & Carriage the former is a cost of sales and the latter an overhead. In my case Carriage is for sending magazines to retailers or subscribers while Postage & Carriage is for things like sending CDs to reviewers.

I suspect it’s to do with how long you’ve had your QuickFile account as they reduced the default set of nominals a while back but I’ve had mine since 2015 and I have all three.

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.