Cash-based P&L

There is a great page in the knowledgebase titled “Generate a cash based Profit and Loss report”. It’s full of useful information. The only thing that it doesn’t tell you is how to actually generate the report.

I’ve upgraded to a Power User subscription, which it hints is necessary in order to generate a cash-based P&L, but there is no such report listed and it is not at all obvious how to do it.

Where is this report hidden, and how do I generate one?

Hi,
You are right, the post doesn’t state how to get the report, however, I found this one, which is may helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did find this one, but it assumes that the report is a VAT quarter and limits it to 3 months.

I could stitch a full-year report together with this, but it’s a bit of a faff. The note at the top suggests that there is a full cash-based P&L hidden somewhere, so the search goes on!

Hi @murrayzz1

Can I just check if you’re a sole trader or non-incorporated partnership?

If you are, you can go to Reports >> All Reports, and you’ll find the option there:

Hi Mathew

Thanks for the reply. I’m neither - it’s a limited company. Quickfile claims to have this report, so why is it so hard to find?

Hi @murrayzz1

A cash based profit and loss isn’t available for limited companies. Limited companies have to report on an accrual basis rather than cash.

Apologies for any confusion.

Hi Mathew

Interesting - I did not know that. I’ve always used cash basis for everything, so I’ve got an interesting accounting challenge before me to switch to accruals!

Thanks for updating my understanding.

No problem at all! :slight_smile:

For reference, here’s some more details on this on the Gov UK website: Cash basis: Who can use cash basis - GOV.UK

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.