HOME / COMMUNITY Switch to knowledge base

Changing nominal ledgers and historic entries

Hi everyone,

I tried to find some documentation on the following topic, but I haven’t found any. However, I am sure I am not the only one with that issue, so I hope for the Quickfile hivemind helping me out here! :slight_smile:

Problem: I have used a number of custom nominal sales, purchases, and expenses accounts to satisfy our bookkeeping and reporting needs, across a number of financial years. Some of these nominal accounts do not fit our needs anymore, and I would like to change them. However, I am hesitant to just willy-nilly remove these accounts primarily because of their historic use.
I know that I can easily solve that for the use case of a current financial year without historic data for that nominal account, but that is not my issue.

Question(s):

1. How can I safely remove a nominal account without losing historic data for past financial years? (Year-end procedure locks the accounts!)
  2. What would be a sensible policy or transition procedure for re-assigning discontinued nominal accounts (and their numbers!) that have become available again as part of safe deletion via question 1?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Michel

Re point 1: You can’t - QuickFile won’t let you delete a nominal that has any transactions posted to it. But if these are P&L codes that haven’t been used since the last year end then they will have a zero balance anyway. You could simply start using them again now but if you change their names I suspect it’ll change the historic record as well (the old accounts will show the code under the new name) so you might be safer just using new numbers anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.