Confusing statuses for VAT returns

The statuses of the VAT returns are slightly confusing at first, it would seem from a user perspective that a return can either be “submitted” and green, or “rolledback” and red, but not both of these

Had a look at the forum after rolling back my return to understand how to resubmit it to HMRC and understood from several threads that the report had actually already been submitted but the transactions for that period were unreconciled for QuickFile

Maybe adding to the confusion is the fact that the option of rolling back is given to the user at the time of submitting (and only then, as far as I know) and looks somewhat similar to a cancel operation from the interface

I’d suggest if possible updating the UI to help clarify this and maybe instead of one status only having two, e.g. a HMRC status and a Quickfile status - we’d have the following before → after mapping of statuses:

Submitted → HMRC status: Submitted /// QuickFile status: N/A
Rolledback → HMRC status: Submitted /// QuickFile status: Rolledback (red color)
Saved → HMRC status: N/A /// QuickFile status: Reconciled (green color)

Not sure whether that’d be a good way to go about it, but just pointing out that confusion I had. Thanks!

“Submitted” also counts as reconciled on the QuickFile side - the “submitted” status is the same as “saved” apart from the fact that a “submitted” return was sent to HMRC and a “saved” one wasn’t.

1 Like

Ah yes, thanks for this @ian_roberts! That mapping wouldn’t be exact, so if it were to be considered in the future maybe instead

Submitted →
Submitted, Reconciled

Rolledback →
Submitted, Not reconciled

Saved →
N/A, Reconciled

The current coloring green/red and the use of a same column for two different types of statuses (HMRC vs QuickFile) had me confused.

Appreciate though changing this might likely be a low priority item on the roadmap for the team - and a look at the forum helped clarify this!