Connecting to HMRC Tax Account for VAT

Hi, I am having problems connecting.

It comes up with “You are not yet authorised to view this report for xxx. Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update.”

I have got correct VAT number and account, I have checked on HMRC it is been authorized please see the screenshot.

Can you please assist, I am trying to submit VAT return

Hello @younus

I would first try removing the Authority from you HMRC login.

Then retry connecting via QuickFile (Reports > HMRC) ensuring all details are correct.

I also notice you have a saved return on your account for Nov23.

This return was made up of manual adjustments only which is not permitted under MTD vat.

Hi have tried again same message client not authorised, what to I do next?

You’re definitely connecting the correct HMRC account? Some people have different government gateway logins for different purposes (maybe one for your personal self assessment and another for your business taxes), and if you’re already logged in to the gateway as the wrong one when you try to make the connection in QuickFile it may not give you the opportunity to switch.

I’d start a private browser window / incognito mode / whatever it’s called in your browser, and try again from there as that definitely won’t have any saved login details or cookies (for QuickFile or for the gateway).

I have tried in incognito mode still the error is same.

I have created a new Gateway ID and password I am still getting the same error.

Hi @younus

The error you see (“Client not Authorised”) is returned to us by HMRC.

As my colleague mentioned above, and as the screenshot shows, it’s most likely to be either the wrong HMRC account has been connected, or the VAT number is incorrect.

Is your VAT number saved correctly in QuickFile? E.g. not missing a digit, or incorrectly typed?

As @ian_roberts suggested, do you have another HMRC account that could be used for VAT? Many users have multiple HMRC accounts. Incognito is a good test, but it’ll only work if you’re logging in with the correct HMRC account. Still logging in with the wrong one (e.g. one used for Self Assessment or Corporation Tax) would still show this error, even in incognito mode.

There isn’t any more we can see on our end apart from the error you are getting, I’m afraid. Unfortunately, HMRC doesn’t return any further information other than this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.