Create bank transaction via API

Hi all

We’ve been trialling a number of these new fintech cards lately and think they are great. The possibilities these accounts bring in terms of extra features are great for stuff like reconciliation etc.

I wondered whether there might be any plans to open up the API to allow external applications to “push” transactions into bank accounts - currently the bank methods are limited to “Search”

Does the roadmap point towards having a POST facility into the bank transactions? That way as soon as a transaction is made on one of these cards, we could make a WebHook that’ll instantly post it to quickfile.

Best regards

Ben

As a follow-up to this, I notice that your integration with Zapier has a “bank entry” action, so I guess you are using a version of the API to do this that already has this method? Possibly REST based?

Hi @ForceOne

The functionality to create a bank transaction via the API doesn’t exist as of yet, but I’ve asked our development team to look into this. We’ll keep you updated here.

[Update]
@ForceOne - Just to let you know that we’ve added the new function Bank_CreateTransaction. There’s no documentation for it yet, but the schema can be found here. Please let us know if you encounter any issues or problems.

Wow, that’s fantastic news!

Didn’t expect this to be implemented in such a short space of time, another massive plus for QuickFile, you are superstars!

I’ll give it a test in the coming weeks and let you know the outcome

Cheers
Ben

2 Likes

This might be a silly question, but looking at that schema how do I specify whether the transaction is money in or out? There’s no element to specify in/out as a boolean, and the Amount element is restricted to a minimum of one penny so I can’t use negative numbers for money out and positive for money in (or vice versa).

The amount was intended to be expressed as a negative/positive number, but you’re right the schema would not permit that. If you check again in 15 minutes that should be resolved.

Thanks, make sure you specify in the xs:documentation which is which :wink:

1 Like

I’m trying to use this new API, but I’m getting “unhandled error occurred”. I’m pretty sure what I’m submitting adheres to the schema (auth data removed and names anonymised):

<Bank_CreateTransaction xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.QuickFile.co.uk http://www.quickfile.co.uk/WebServices/API/Schemas/invoices/Bank_CreateTransaction.xsd" xmlns="http://www.QuickFile.co.uk">
  <Header>
    <MessageType>Request</MessageType>
    <SubmissionNumber>...</SubmissionNumber>
    <Authentication>
      <AccNumber>...</AccNumber>
      <MD5Value>...</MD5Value>
      <ApplicationID>...</ApplicationID>
    </Authentication>
  </Header>
  <Body>
    <Transaction>
      <BankNominalCode>1200</BankNominalCode>
      <Date>2017-03-24</Date>
      <Reference>Fred wages</Reference>
      <Amount>-120.00</Amount>
    </Transaction>
    <Transaction>
      <BankNominalCode>1200</BankNominalCode>
      <Date>2017-03-24</Date>
      <Reference>Mary wages</Reference>
      <Amount>-150.00</Amount>
    </Transaction>
  </Body>
</Bank_CreateTransaction>

Any ideas? I know the request is getting parsed because when I try sending the same XML a second time I get the usual “duplicate submission number” error rather than the original “unhandled error occurred”.

Hi @ian_roberts

I’ve asked one of our dev team to take a look. Will come back to you shortly

Transactions created via this API call don’t seem to be subject to the bank tagging rules - I have a rule that matches the transactions I’m creating via the API call so I would expect them to come up with the yellow “confirm” button on the bank account, but they are actually appearing completely untagged (with the red “tag me”). If I manually create a transaction with the same description it does come up yellow.

Any chance you could apply the tagging rules to API-created transactions too?

Hi @ian_roberts

I’ll certainly run this past my colleague as I’m not sure if this is intentional or not. Either way, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back.

[Update]
@ian_roberts - This should now be resolved. Please can you give it a go and let me know if that’s working as expected?

I’ll try it on Thursday when I run the next payroll.

@QFMathew Well, it’s one step forward and one back…

The created transactions are now firing the tagging rules and coming up with a yellow confirm button instead of the red “tag me”, but they’re now being wrongly created as money in rather than out - I’ve not changed my code, and I’ve verified the XML message still includes negative values for the Amount elements.

Apologies… let me see what’s going on here and we’ll get this fixed ASAP.

EDIT:

That should be working correctly now!

Yes, that’s working fine now, thanks.

2 Likes