HOME / COMMUNITY Switch to knowledge base

Create bank transaction via API

Hi all

We’ve been trialling a number of these new fintech cards lately and think they are great. The possibilities these accounts bring in terms of extra features are great for stuff like reconciliation etc.

I wondered whether there might be any plans to open up the API to allow external applications to “push” transactions into bank accounts - currently the bank methods are limited to “Search”

Does the roadmap point towards having a POST facility into the bank transactions? That way as soon as a transaction is made on one of these cards, we could make a WebHook that’ll instantly post it to quickfile.

Best regards

Ben

0 Likes

As a follow-up to this, I notice that your integration with Zapier has a “bank entry” action, so I guess you are using a version of the API to do this that already has this method? Possibly REST based?

0 Likes

Hi @ForceOne

The functionality to create a bank transaction via the API doesn’t exist as of yet, but I’ve asked our development team to look into this. We’ll keep you updated here.

[Update]
@ForceOne - Just to let you know that we’ve added the new function Bank_CreateTransaction. There’s no documentation for it yet, but the schema can be found here. Please let us know if you encounter any issues or problems.

0 Likes

Wow, that’s fantastic news!

Didn’t expect this to be implemented in such a short space of time, another massive plus for QuickFile, you are superstars!

I’ll give it a test in the coming weeks and let you know the outcome

Cheers
Ben

2 Likes

This might be a silly question, but looking at that schema how do I specify whether the transaction is money in or out? There’s no element to specify in/out as a boolean, and the Amount element is restricted to a minimum of one penny so I can’t use negative numbers for money out and positive for money in (or vice versa).

0 Likes

The amount was intended to be expressed as a negative/positive number, but you’re right the schema would not permit that. If you check again in 15 minutes that should be resolved.

0 Likes

Thanks, make sure you specify in the xs:documentation which is which :wink:

1 Like

I’m trying to use this new API, but I’m getting “unhandled error occurred”. I’m pretty sure what I’m submitting adheres to the schema (auth data removed and names anonymised):

<Bank_CreateTransaction xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.QuickFile.co.uk http://www.quickfile.co.uk/WebServices/API/Schemas/invoices/Bank_CreateTransaction.xsd" xmlns="http://www.QuickFile.co.uk">
  <Header>
    <MessageType>Request</MessageType>
    <SubmissionNumber>...</SubmissionNumber>
    <Authentication>
      <AccNumber>...</AccNumber>
      <MD5Value>...</MD5Value>
      <ApplicationID>...</ApplicationID>
    </Authentication>
  </Header>
  <Body>
    <Transaction>
      <BankNominalCode>1200</BankNominalCode>
      <Date>2017-03-24</Date>
      <Reference>Fred wages</Reference>
      <Amount>-120.00</Amount>
    </Transaction>
    <Transaction>
      <BankNominalCode>1200</BankNominalCode>
      <Date>2017-03-24</Date>
      <Reference>Mary wages</Reference>
      <Amount>-150.00</Amount>
    </Transaction>
  </Body>
</Bank_CreateTransaction>

Any ideas? I know the request is getting parsed because when I try sending the same XML a second time I get the usual “duplicate submission number” error rather than the original “unhandled error occurred”.

0 Likes

Hi @ian_roberts

I’ve asked one of our dev team to take a look. Will come back to you shortly

0 Likes

Transactions created via this API call don’t seem to be subject to the bank tagging rules - I have a rule that matches the transactions I’m creating via the API call so I would expect them to come up with the yellow “confirm” button on the bank account, but they are actually appearing completely untagged (with the red “tag me”). If I manually create a transaction with the same description it does come up yellow.

Any chance you could apply the tagging rules to API-created transactions too?

0 Likes

Hi @ian_roberts

I’ll certainly run this past my colleague as I’m not sure if this is intentional or not. Either way, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back.

[Update]
@ian_roberts - This should now be resolved. Please can you give it a go and let me know if that’s working as expected?

0 Likes

I’ll try it on Thursday when I run the next payroll.

0 Likes

@QFMathew Well, it’s one step forward and one back…

The created transactions are now firing the tagging rules and coming up with a yellow confirm button instead of the red “tag me”, but they’re now being wrongly created as money in rather than out - I’ve not changed my code, and I’ve verified the XML message still includes negative values for the Amount elements.

0 Likes

Apologies… let me see what’s going on here and we’ll get this fixed ASAP.

EDIT:

That should be working correctly now!

0 Likes

Yes, that’s working fine now, thanks.

2 Likes