Creating client record with same name

I need to add a client for invoicing etc but they have the same name as another already present. I use account reference codes that differ for each client and assumed that would be the indicator used by the system to differentiate between the records.

Can this be achieved?

Hi @AndyT

Would it be possible to differentiate the clients in any way? For example, if they’re individuals could you use an initial instead of a full name?

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately not in this case - I’m dealing with schools and there are many instances whereby they have the same name.

Can this restriction be lifted at all? It will be problematic for us otherwise.

Hi @AndyT

We can certainly consider it in the future. What I would suggest for now is starting a #feature request, and we can update you (and anyone else interested) in that thread.

In the mean time, I would perhaps try and use a slightly different name, e.g. a local school by me was a “Community Primary School” but used just “CP School” as part of their name, maybe that could work? Or “Comp” instead of “Comprehensive”, or maybe even include part of the area in their name.

Ok thanks,

For now I’ve included the postcode. It looks a bit shabby but it’ll have to do until it’s fixed or we find another way.

This hasn’t come up for me yet but there is potential for dupilication in both individual clients and some organisations. (Guess how many groups of various types name themselves with their meeting night?)

I would rather not put anything other than the proper name in the name field makes invoices look amateurish and the distinction is needed internally not in customer communication. The main thing for me is, when creating a new invoice, that I can see which of two or three John Smiths I am about to select when QF tries to auto complete.

Hi @AndyT,

Another suggestion - could you use “School Name, Town” as the client name or use the district if there are more than one in the town?

Hi,

Temporarily yes but it’s not a fix. As FolkLondon said, it looks amateurish and shouldn’t be required really.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.