Credit Note with different refund amount and date to actual

I got a credit note from a supplier of £2.01
However, they (a large multinational) refunded £2.00; I’m not minded to chase this 1p discrepancy.
Also, the credit note was dated June 2023 but I didn’t actually get the refund until January 2024.

I’m struggling to know the best way to record this:

• If I create a credit note for £2.00 and select refund it creates a refund on the date of the credit note
  • If I create a transaction in the bank statement on the refund date I don’t seem to be able to link it to the invoice (the invoice is in a closed period) or make the credit note have the correct date.

Any advice?

I’d start from the original invoice, raise a credit note against that for £2.01 on whatever date in June 2023 you want the credit note to be dated, and select the option to hold the funds on account.

Somewhere on that supplier’s account you should now have something that looks like an unallocated payment for £2.01 (from the supplier’s main details page, view all payments, then search → type → unallocated). If you click through to this unallocated payment there should be an option at the top to “refund balance” where you can choose to refund £2 to your current account on the appropriate day in Jan 2024. This will create a pre-tagged money in transaction on your bank account, you can delete the untagged duplicate.

As for writing off that penny, I guess the easiest way would be to do another “refund balance” for the final penny and send that to your drawings or director’s loan.

1 Like

Thanks @ian_roberts - that worked a treat.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.