Customer Statement to include all items

Specifically

1. Currently, unallocated payments are not shown on the statement.
    This means that any customer who has either paid in advance of an invoice, or who has not clearly stated which invoice they are paying needs additional information to interpret their balance.

At the moment I have to run out a list of unallocated payments with their dates, make sure it matches the “credit” figure on the statement and send that with the customer statement.

1. Rename “credits” to “unallocated payments and credits”

2. Rename “outstanding balance” to “outstanding invoices”

3. Add new field of “Customer Account Total” (= outstanding invoices - unallocated payments and credits)

4. On the export file please can you either remove GBP against every number or parse it into a separate column. Currently I have to remove them all in order to add up any numbers.

What are other people doing with their statements when they are not fully representative of a customer’s account?

Thanks

3 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions!

As with all feature requests, we’ll leave this open for other users to comment or add their support to. We do like to see a bit of support from the community before we change or add things, especially when it comes to relabelling or altering features.

As the topic starter, you should already be subscribed to the topic, so any replies should be emailed to you, depending on your account settings.

I agree that it is not immediately obvious that the “outstanding balance” is actually the total of unpaid invoices. I would expect the “balance” to be the amount required to bring the account to zero after allowing for unallocated credits and pre-payments.

1 Like

This seems like a good idea to me.

I have hit exactly the same problem.
Basically, the statement is useless in its present form.
The amount that my customer actually owes doesn’t appear anywhere on the current format.
Many thanks

I have read your forums that tell me the only way you can get a receipt or payment onto a statement is to link it to an invoice, but this does not happen in every case. I cannot see why it is impossible to keep a running total of invoices and payments on a specific account.

I can give you some examples of where it is inconvenient.

Budget Payments to an energy supplier. You pay the same amount every month and your energy bills vary each month.

A customer makes a nominal payment into his account that is not linked to specific invoices

Your bank reconciliation system allows you to allocate a payment to a customers account but it then does not show on the statement even though the money has been paid and the the entry is tagged

@peterhoar4133 - I’ve merged your post with the existing feature request for this so we can keep track of the interest in this feature.

There is no progress here at the moment, but we do regularly review requests, and will be sure to update any relevant topics on the forums.

same thing with the debtors ageing report.
Agree that advance payment is not a debt so will not show on the ageing report.
We have had several discussions on this.

We are looking for a debtors report (note: ageing excluded), whereby the balance (i.e. in the balance sheet) on any given date of the DEBTORS CONTROL ACCOUNT agrees with a list of debtors. This list of debtors is a debtors report… it would have both outstanding amounts and overpayments from customers.

see post below.

Similarly, if client statement is not picking up advance payments (which are not allocated to any invoice) then it’s not a correct statement.

1 Like

The statement does show accumulated credits (prepayments) in the top right hand corner. They are just not itemised on the actual statement view. The statement will however detail exactly when a prepayment is linked to an invoice but it won’t show the original receipt of the prepayment. It’s not likely we will be able to change this due to the way the system is designed.

I think I’ve explained the logic behind the debtor ageing report, so I would refer to my previous comments on that subject.

Hi Glenn, I agree with you if it’s an ageing report. My point is about a debtors report.
I don’t think I have seen a report which shows exactly the breakdown of the DEBTORS CONTROL ACCOUNT.
It is this report that the accountants using the software are looking for.

Is there absolutely no way to adjust the design?

I note your point that any unallocated credits are displayed on the top right hand corner.
This is helpful.

This Historic Invoice Report will provide a fairly detailed breakdown of the debtor and creditor control accounts at a particular point in time. It will include all invoices, balance of prepayments, journals and opening balances.

We may be able to achieve this in a slightly different way. One approach would be to include a separate box under the itemised section to list out any unspent prepayments, e.g. dates and amounts.

Hi Glenn

Not sure where the historic invoice report is. If you can point it out to me then I will check it out.

A few of months ago, I managed to get this data from the client management , but I had to include ALL years (since the beginning of start of the business or QF) in my date range. This is because there are client with older credits.
See screenshot below.

I then export the data, delete the rows with no balance or credit. What remains is the figure that is in the debtors control account.
But honestly, it should not be this difficult and time consuming for the users to get to this…

I am sure many of us will appreciate a direct and simple report to achieve the above.

Hi Sameera,

You can find the Historic Invoice Report in the Reports section under “Other Reports”:

It will show you a list of outstanding invoices at a point in time. If you export the CSV template it will also show a breakdown of prepayments and any other balances that affect debtor control.

Thank you. This is helpful.
A further breakdown of the prepayments figures will be more helpful, as presently I can’t see how the system picks the prepayment figure.

In the screenshot below
The total prepayment figure should be £631 but the report pics up £1,111 and explains the difference to bank.
Why is there a pick highlight on the figure, I assume that means the figures don’t reconcile?

1 Like

With any account specifics it’s better discussed over a private message.

Please would you send me a PM with the account number and I will look into this for you.

Thanks sure. will do

I tagged £480 directly to Debtors control account.
This was because credit note and refund were issued at different dates (refund later).

For the benefit of others,I am reposting parts of our private conversation.

I just created a test refund to dated 4th Oct in the Bank account. This refund is for CR note dated 01/04/2017 to client X They have credit of £xx on the account.
When I went in to tag it, there is no option to tag it to the credit note or to allocate it to the client account.
The drop-down box only gave me option to apply refund to older invoices in the client account.

I reckon it was because of this, I may have tagged the £480 directly to the debtors control account.
To me doing this made sense, as I was reducing the debtors balance in the accounts (even though I could not tag it directly to the client account)

I suppose, it may be handy to have a further option when tagging a refund, where we could tag the refund direct to client account rather than it only being applied to an invoice? Not sure your system is designed for this?

Thank you Mathew.

1 Like

Hi

I need to send my client a statement to show how much is outstanding on their account.

I have raised a credit against an invoice that has been previously paid and now the figures are all out of whack! My customer doesn’t understand how much he owes and the statement isn’t helping!

Please can you reorganise statement so it shows only ALL current unallocated or unpaid items:
Invoices
Credits
Payments
Refunds

The current system doesn’t appear helpful to show what is the actual current balance due.

Thank you

Hi @TudorJones

When you view a statement, you should see an “Outstanding Balance” in the top right corner in the “Account Summary” box.

If you find their outstanding invoice and “log payment” → “apply from credit” then that will assign the credit on account as a part-payment towards the new invoice, and the outstanding balance on that invoice will then be correct.