HOME / COMMUNITY Switch to knowledge base

Dashes in invoice numbers not working?

Hi support,

I raised a thread regarding custom invoice number rules: Custom invoice number rules

Discussion on that thread subsided, and I looked for alternative solutions when I stumbled upon this thread: Dashes within Invoice Number?

There you announced that dashes in invoice numbers would be now live (that was in early to mid September this year).

I tried it, but I cannot create invoice numbers with dashes.

I am using Mac OS X and Chrome; I tried with Firefox and Safari to make sure it is not the browser or browser cache, but it still doesn’t work.

Can you help, please?

Thanks,
Michel

Hi Michel,

The support for dashes is live in the sense that where they’ve been used previously, we’ll continue to support them. When you create a new invoice, it should pick up from your last invoice. If this includes dashes, it should save all OK.

Michel,

The way I got it to work (I think I was directed to this method via a PM from support) was to copy the desired invoice number from somewhere else (Excel / Notepad / whatever) and paste it into the invoice number field. That worked for me, and now if I create a new invoice the same number convention, including dashes, appears by default and I can just change the numbers as required.

I hope this helps.

Hi @StuartCookson,

That was my first thought on the support answer as well.

Tried it, and it works (though I have to say I think it’s a rather whacky workaround…)

Cheers,
Michel

@Michel Agreed! I’m just glad there is a way to get it to work. It’s a pretty small matter in the grand scheme of things, but it might have been a deal-breaker for me if I was forced to use a new invoice numbering system.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.