Dealing with bank fees in different currencies

Hello community,

I need some advice on how to deal with the below.

Sometimes I get paid via PayPal in USD on my GBP PayPal account.
Paypal takes away a fee in USD straight away.
When I am sending the money to my GBP bank account, PayPal applies an exchange rate which is not the official one so I am being charged some more money there.

My accountant said that I can claim those fees as “bank fees”.
So let’s imagine I am being paid $100, I can see how much that translates to GBP following the official rate of that day. Let’s imagine the official rate is 1.2 so $100 = £83.3

If at the end of the process I see £73 appearing on my GBP bank account, I can claim £10.3 as “bank fees”.

The above is clear to me. My question for the community is: what is the easiest way to do this in Quickbook? Ideally I’d like Quickbook to do all the math for me of course.

Thank you!

Hello,
Can anybody help on this subject?
Thanks!

Hello Tony, why do you mention Quickbook ? mistake ? You want to say Quickfile I hope !!!

You can tag these type of expenses directly as a bank transaction in your GBP account without invoicing. I think nominal “7902 Currency Charges” would be more appropriate for these Paypal conversion fees.

Ben

Of course I meant quickfile! Not sure why I typed quickbook! :smiley:

I think you might have misunderstood my message. While I could do the math and tag the bank charges as expense, I’d like Quickfile to do the math for me as I see it has multi-currency available.

What I am hoping quickfile allows me to do is to

• Add an invoice of $100
  • Add a payment of £73

Quickfile does all the math (based on Xe exchange rate of the day I was paid) and tells me how much “banking fee” I paid which can then be logged appropriately.

It would be cool if it could at least highlight what’s the difference between $100 and £73 in pounds so I can just log that manually.

I hope this makes sense!
Thanks

The way this works in QuickFile is that you create a (sale or purchase) invoice of $100, QuickFile converts that to GBP at the xe exchange rate for the invoice date, and that’s the GBP amount that goes on the relevant P&L nominal codes. For the sake of example let’s say that was £70.

When you come to log payment you mark the $100 invoice as paid in full and tell QuickFile that the payment amount was £73. QuickFile works out the difference between the £73 you paid and the £70 GBP value of the invoice, and automatically puts that difference as a gain or loss on the “currency charges” P&L nominal - a £3 loss in this example.

1 Like

Of course it’s possible, sorry I misunderstood.

Look at: Invoicing in foreign currencies

Ben

Thank you Ian - this is amazing it’s exactly what I hoped it would do!

No worries Benjamin, it happens when someone refers to the wrong software :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.