Delete bank account

Thank you Glenn. This is appreciated. Any idea when we might see a general consolidation so we can see all our bank accounts without the need to scroll?

There’s no plan to remove the groupings, it doesn’t make a lot of sense (to me at least) to list Director’s Loan Account alongside current accounts. We may however introduce a “compact” view that maybe drops the bank logos to make everything more vertically compact.

More vertically compact, yes, I like that a lot, thank you.

Also, any chance you can raise credit cards to be below current accounts as these are used regularly, whereas other headings like loan accounts are not?

My personal opinion is that every business should be asking their accountant for support in setting up their COA. It really does save a lot of frustrations and errors months down the line if you have your COA setup correctly from day one using professional guidance by your accountant. So while I understand your point about inexperienced users, I personally would rather have a clean slate approach and recommend users to get their accountants to advise on optimal setup.

In addition, users should be reading the documentation of the program for support in setting up their accounting program anyway, so many of these examples could be shown in the documentation. But I appreciate that you may want to handle this in a different way. I prefer the way my accounting program does this but does not mean that it’s the only correct approach. However given that @alantc implied in the first post that a lot of people have issues trying to remove unwanted bank accounts etc, it might be an approach you want to rethink.

Yes there are some accounts that I did not create and I can’t delete such as vat payments, inventory cost and inventory sales, but I am not referring to what I would call a system account. I mean more things like petty cash (which many businesses don’t use). For the record, I don’t recommend hiding bank accounts - I am questioning the logic of having them as default in the first place if they are never used.

Thank you for listening to my feedback regardless of the outcome. It is clear that you offer very good support here. If you wish, either you or matthew drop me an email (as I can’t email yet) and I will send you a link to my accounting program’s website and you can try the program out and you will see why I like it so much despite a lot of missing functionality. Thank you

@alantc shouldn’t be a problem, that should go live with the next round of updates.

@dalacor in a perfect world yes, but having spent 6 years + on these forums I know that 1. a good percentage of people don’t read guides and 2. many QF users don’t have accountants, or at least to the extent that they would be able to get general advice on things. Point 2 is less of an issue as that has always been our core demographic, we want to be able to get these users familiar with the basics, perhaps with the view to seeking professional oversight later as the business grows.

Your feedback here is very valuable and I believe serves the interest of our core users. We’re definitely listening, it’s just sometimes we are weighed down by the bigger things like MTD and Open Banking to really focus on the smaller details. When the big stuff is out of the way we always come back and re-evaluate.

1 Like

Brilliant. I look forward to seeing how things progress with you over time. I may need your support in a couple of months time when I file my first MTD VAT Return as I will be using your bridging software! Many thanks

@dalacor No problem we’ll certainly be able to guide you on the bridging submission.

@alantc we’ve now deployed the update to allow unused accounts to be removed from the bank management view. We’ve also nudged the credit card accounts section further up.

We’ll review all other suggestions in regards to the interface in due course.

Nice, thanks. When an account is hidden on this page, would it also make sense to remove it from the drop down lists of bank accounts that you get when logging a payment1? I would say yes, given that hiding an account on the “all bank accounts” summary page is a pretty strong indication that you don’t want to use that account at all any more.

The example I have in my QuickFile account is that when we changed banks I created a new bank account in QuickFile for the new current account rather than simply re-using the original “current account” (as we had the two running in parallel for a week or two until the switch process was complete). This means I now have the old account with nominal 1200 that has a zero balance and will never be used again, but I don’t want to (in fact I can’t) delete it entirely as it has several years of historical transactions.

1 I have custom JS that does this already in my case.

Thanks @ian_roberts. I think this may be a little bit more complex given the number of places it appears, but it’s something we will review in due course.

Nice! Thanks Glenn and Matthew. Impressed that you have made these improvements so quickly, thanks!

1 Like

Yes it makes absolute sense to do this. We are planning to hide those banks in the select lists as part of phase 2. It’s just we wanted to get this initial update into last night’s release.

There is new feature to hide bank accounts. Thank you. Unfortunately they do not disappear in drop down menus:(. I believe it should be synchronised

Hi @awariat

I’ve merged your post into the original thread. Please see my colleague’s post above regarding this.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.