Depreciation accounts and capital allowances

Hi there,

I’m not an accountant so I’m very much just getting confused by this, but I hope someone can shed some light on depreciation for me.

My company has purchased an office printer for £227.52. I want to depreciate this over 3 years and so have created a journal for the first year’s depreciation of 1/3 of the cost at £75.84 by:

• CR 0030 Office Equipment £75.84
  • DR 8004 Office Equipment Depreciation £75.84

I believe this is correct but as I understand it, I can claim the depreciated cost as a capital allowance from my tax liability. So my question is, why is 8004 classed as an add back in the tax summary? Should it not be a deduction as it is a capital allowance? Or do I need to post this to a deductible depreciation account other than 8004?

Additionally, can anyone shed any light on the difference between 0031 and 8004 as they are both depreciation accounts sitting in different sections? I believe it is something to do with accumulated depreciation but can’t be entirely sure.

Thank you very much for any light that can be shed!

Best wishes,

Joe

0031 is for accumulated depreciation, 8004 is the P&L expense account. To depreciate an Asset, I believe the journals would be:

DR Fixed Asset
CR Bank (or if bought on credit terms, process the usual way)

DR Depreciation Expense
CR Accumulated Depreciation

I’m not a tax accountant so don’t want to advise on CAPEX.

[Edit] Each subsequent year when doing the journal for depreciation it would be:
DR Depreciation Expense
CR Accumulated Depreciation
That way, the accumulated depreciation will show n years worth of depreciation.

Capital allowances are an adjustment to tax on the tax return. Not the accounts which is where your getting confused.

Also, the reason for the credit on the p and l is your effectively obtain relief in year one instead of over the 3 years. So it’s written back.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.