'Detag Transaction' is deleting transactions without permission

When selecting ‘detag transaction’ QF deletes the transaction at the other end, even if it did not create it. Also, if one deletes a tagged transaction it also deletes the transaction at the other end.

I can see the logic of deleting a transaction that ‘bank transfer’ tagging created (but a warning or option not to would be nice), but when one tags two existing transactions it should never delete either one when detagging - surely?

If I’ve tagged two transactions as a bank transfer, one from my PayPal account and one in my Bank Account (both of which are imported), how do I detag without deleting one or both transactions?

I’m new to QF and spent a fair bit of time trying to import my existing account setup but this bug, which has been raised several times since 2013, and has had tickets raised but has not been fixed, to my mind is critical. I just can’t trust that QF isn’t deleting data it just should not be touching, especially without a warning. At the very least a dialogue should prompt if the user wants to delete one or both transactions.

Please tell me that there’s a setting to turn this behaviour off or some other workflow that I’m missing.

Thanks in advance.

Hello @User1864

I found this in the forum which may explain your query

Hi, sorry but no. I understand the issue, the article essentially says the same as mine and Glenn says he’ll raise a ticket to implement a lock on the account (but not fix the actual problem) - did this happen? The issue has been raised multiple times before over the last decade but hasn’t been fixed.

I can work around the behaviour by being careful when detagging from the source account as this will only delete the unwanted auto generated transaction. However this isn’t the case for when two original transactions are tagged together, I cannot detag them without QF deleting one or the other - which it should never, ever do - but it does.

How can I detag two connected transaction without the system deleting one?

I have hundreds of transactions to reconcile and with the auto tagging effectively just too dangerous to use because when it gets it wrong and I have to detag then I’m losing data and having to recheck both accounts manually.

Very fustrating for a new customer, as I’ve had to disable bank transfer in auto tagging, will take me hours to do what should be instant matching done by QF.

Am I using the system wrong? Why arn’t people screaming about this problem? Why hasn’t it been fixed?

Hello @User1864

I have asked the development team to take another look at this for you.

I will feed back here when they get back to me