Error on Submitted VAT

Hi there.

Recently submitted our VAT return via Quickfile, however we have just discovered a duplicate transaction of income. We understand where the error has come from, and somehow we have manually entered another transaction on the bank feed and then there was also the live bank feed transactions, so its showing that we received that same figure twice.

We have only just discovered this after already submitting the VAT return last week, so now these records cant be amended on the software.

We need advice about how we can correct this and how we can get Quickfile amended again to show only one of the transactions so that when its time for the end of year accounts will reflect the true income amount.

We are following up with HMRC as we speak, however if anyone has some advice around dealing with HMRC on a VAT error, please do weigh in.

Thanks!

Hello @TheresaMooch

I can see on your account, both transactions have been paid and included in the vat return.

Under MTD you can not do a re submission for a submitted period.

You would credit off one of the invoices and refund the credit note

The result:

The credit will be picked up on your next return the reverse the figures HMRC have and the refund will net off against one of your duplicate payments on you bank.

1 Like

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting in touch so quickly. so just to clarify, we would need to issue a refund (just on the system) on the duplicated amount, and then when it comes to the next VAT return, it would balance the transactions out again?

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this right.

Thanks again

1 Like

Hello @TheresaMooch

That’s correct, in QuickFile:

• Open the original invoice
  • More Options > Credit Note
  • Edit if necessary > Save
  • Refund money, select the same bank > Save

Credit will be picked up on your next return and refund will net off against one of your duplicate payments on you bank

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.