Extend SMTP password length limit to support Amazon SES

I want to use Amazon SES SMTP email settings. They insist on 44 character passwords but the password box in QuickFile settings only allows 20 characters.

I don’t see a problem extending the password length to 50 characters. Amazon SES is becoming an increasingly popular mail service so we certainly want to support this. I’ve logged this in our short-term development plan for now. I will update this thread once we are able to extend this field.

1 Like

Just to let you know, we’ve now bumped up the character limit for the SMTP password to 50, should work fine with Amazon SES.

Hi Glenn

Unfortunately it’s not working.

The SMTP settings page has a tick box to enable SSL, but Amazon SES settings says to use TLS.

Server settings are:
Server Name: email-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
Port: 25, 465 or 587
Use Transport Layer Security (TLS): Yes
Authentication: Your SMTP credentials - see below.

The error message I’m getting on QuickFile is “It looks like there was a problem reaching your SMTP service. The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: Authentication required.

As I understand it TLS and SSL are one and the same. TLS is the successor to SSL and the terms SSL and TLS are used interchangeably unless you’re referring to a specific version of the protocol.

If you check the SSL box and all the other credentials are correct it should work.

EDIT:

Have you tried port 587, I was reading a StackOverflow article which suggested using this port.

1 Like

I’ve got it to work. The problem may have been that the password had the ‘’ character in it, as it worked on port 587 with a different username and password.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.