Feature Request: Delete bank account WITH all transactions

It sometimes happens that a user wants to start a bank account fresh and delete all of the transactions.

So they sit there deleting (in my case) 9,000 transactions in batches of 50 transactions per deletion (i.e. 180 deletions).

A simple “Delete bank account” option that deleted all transactions on behalf of the user would be wonderful.

Hi @fambi

Thank you for your suggestion.

Initially, I do foresee a few things we’d need to consider, such as - locked transactions, tagged transactions (what do you do with the balancing entry?)

But if there’s enough interest, we can take a look at this further.

Locked transactions.
Locked are locked. So if anything is to happen to them, the user would need to unlock them first. I had to do that recently and temporarily rolled back the VAT returns and unlocked them in order to edit some old invoices because they were connected to the wrong nominal codes. So when the user comes to delete, you can do a quick check to see if any transactions are locked and then throw up a message to let them know that you can’t proceed because of them.

Tagged transactions
Ask the user what they want done? If they don’t want anything done, then you have the current default behaviour which is to leave the balancing entry in place but in an unpaid state. Otherwise, delete the balancing entry. In my case, I would like for all the balancing entries to be deleted as I am now going through deleting the 9,000 there (which is even more painful than deleting the 9,000 bank transactions because deleting invoices doesn’t refresh the list like it does with banking).

As an aside, this shouldn’t be necessary as you can move items between nominal codes from the nominal account view using the “move to new code” tool, and this works even if the invoices are locked.

1 Like

Oh wow! I had no idea because the invoice said that it couldn’t be changed.

I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks

Yeah, it’s a kind of side access - the lock on invoices/purchases by a VAT return is separate from the lock on nominal accounts enforced by the year end. Invoice/purchase locks are there to stop you changing the total amount of net and VAT on an invoice that has already been accounted for in a VAT return, but as long as the invoice is not in a locked accounting year you can still use “move to new code” to shuffle things around between nominals in a way that doesn’t affect the net or VAT total. It’s only once the YE lock is in place that this is forbidden (to prevent you changing a P&L or balance sheet that has been sent to HMRC or Companies House).

1 Like