Final VAT submission showing as "SAVED"

I prepared my final VAT return on 2nd March and sent it as per normal but on logging in to Quickfile I am confused. On the page showing my VAT returns on the left hand side my return is showing a submission date of 2/3/2024 but on the right the status is shown as SAVED not SUBMITTED as previous ones are. On clicking on the SAVED button the return is opened but I am not able to submit. I noticed that my access to HMRC has stopped as from the 4th March so I logged back in. I see HMRC have not received my return. What am I doing wrong? I had to make an adjustments to my return and added a file of my calculations- I wondered if that had caused problems.

Hi @MartinW

“SAVED” means just that - it’s only saved on your account and not submitted to HMRC. It’s likely to be caused by the HMRC link not working.

HMRC links are only valid for 18 months, after which they need to be renewed.

To submit it to HMRC, firstly, make sure the connection is working all OK; it will show up as “Good” on the HMRC page (any errors will also be displayed there).

Then, you will need to roll the return back and resubmit it (ensure you select a HMRC period before preparing it - it will prompt you to do this if the HMRC link is working all OK).

Let us know how you get on or if you need any further help.

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for your help, it worked ok and my return has been submitted. I was unsure about the ‘rollback’ I have never been clear about it’s purpose or what it did and the information I found really didn’t help.

Best wishes,

Martin

Martin Whitworth
9B The Camp Industrial Estate
Milton Common
Oxford
OX9 2NP

Tel. 01844 278807
Mobile: 07704 871905
martin@martinwhitworth.co.uk

Hi @MartinW

When you rollback a return it essentially undoes it on QuickFile - but it doesn’t affect what’s sent to HMRC.

This can be used to correct invoices that have been locked by a VAT return (e.g. an invoice description), but any errors to the VAT return itself should either be corrected within QuickFile through another means (such as a credit note, for example), or reported to HMRC directly - depending on HMRC’s criteria at the time.

If you find any parts of our knowledge base unhelpful, please don’t hesitate to let us know, and we’ll get it reviewed.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.