First VAT return overlap issue

Hi there. Company has prepared and submitted its first VAT return via MTD for 1 March to 30 June (Return ref : Key 20C2). At this point there were three submission periods offered, the other two being 1 to 31 March (Key 20C1) and 1 April to 30 June (also Key 20C2). I chose the 4 month period option as I thought it would save time. The 4-month VAT return was submitted and paid without issue … it seemed.

HMRC are now querying the period 1 to 31 March as they say the return we sent only covered 1 April to 30 June. On querying this HMRC have advised that we consult with our software provider to see whether a ‘nil’ VAT return can be sent for the missing period. I’ve tried to do this by selecting the relevant return for completion in QuickFile but of course the period overlap error is displayed and I’m wary of using the rollback procedure and further complicating matters.

What would you advise please?

Hi @Susan_Appleton,

Apologies for the slow reply to you, we wanted to just double check some things. You should be able to use the bridging module to submit the £0 return without having to roll back your already submitted return. You will need to go into your VAT settings and enable the bridging module to be able to do this.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thank you Beth,
I still couldn’t use the bridging module in Quickfile, at least not on my first try, because of there being a later-dated submitted return. However the suggestion to use bridging hadn’t occurred to me and I’ve now submitted the missing return via the bridging module in my tax software. So many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.