Get invoice link

Hi all

I’d like to create links to invoice PDFs that I can pass on to my accountant. (I’d like the link not to record a log in by the client when it’s clicked.)

I’d thought that the way to do this is to use the Invoice_GetPDF API, but I’m having a few issues with this. Firstly, the PDF that this generates doesn’t use my customised invoice template, so it looks totally different to the issued invoice. I can’t see the logic to how InvoiceIDs are generated – I’d though this would simply be the invoice number. And finally, if I activate this API, what would the link be that I eventually pass on?

Sorry for the basic questions. If this is indeed the best way to achieve what I want, a workthrough would be enormously helpful.

Best, Benjamin

Hi @benjamingoodson

This shouldn’t be happening. If you view the invoice as normal, and click “Print”, does that PDF match the one generated through the API?

The link would be returned as part of the API result.

What’s the purpose of sending the PDF to your accountant? Perhaps there’s another way we can recommend?

This shouldn’t be happening. If you view the invoice as normal, and click “Print”, does that PDF match the one generated through the API?

No, when I print ‘normally’ from the invoice preview it generates correctly with my customised invoice template. When I use the API it ignores my invoice customisation, including CSS tweaks. I’ve only tried this from within the sandbox environment, in case that makes a difference.

What’s the purpose of sending the PDF to your accountant? Perhaps there’s another way we can recommend?

There are various VAT complexities that my accountant reads off the invoices. Of course at year end I can (and have previously) just bulk printed/exported the year’s invoice PDFs and sent them by email. This works ok, but I was just trying to avoid sending attachments and instead linking to ‘live’ versions of the invoices (i.e. paid, partially paid, etc).

I will send you a private message to get some account details from you, and we can take a look at the customisation side of things.

It may be easier to add your accountant as a team member on your account. If they have other QuickFile clients, they will need a unique email address for your account, or they can use QuickFile Affinity.

If they are a team member, you can restrict their access if needed.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.