Getting Started

Hello all.
I have just discovered Quickfile and it looks great.
Beasically I’ve had an accounting disaster regarding the 13/14 tax year accounts, which has come to a head now, resulting in me changing accountants now and needing to quickly provide my new accountant with all the data. It had previously been logged using old accountants in house system.
By the looks of it, importing the information via CSV from my CRM and Bank should be fairly straightforward.
I am not at all accountancy minded and have never used an accountancy system at all. I’m terrified and have paid the price.
My question is what is the correct sequence for setting up quick file and importing my data?
Do I need to set the opening balances for the bank account first for example - this seems logical.
If any one is able to post up a step by step accounting for dummies guide for setting up a previous tax year and so on I would be very grateful.
Am I right in thinking I can action the year end info and then input my 14/15 Tax Year info with out setting up a different account?
I have been ploughing through the knowledge base so understand bits its just the atual correct way and order of inputting data that worries me.
Also how do I provide the info to my accountant? Am I able to email reports for example. I wasn’t quite sure how i would provide my accountant with the required information contained on quickfile.
Thanks in advance
Valerie

You may find this short questionnaire useful:

http://www.quickfile.co.uk/resources/startup.aspx

What would really make life easier for you is if your ex-accountant can provide a trial balance up to a specific date (as far forward as possible). From there on you could just import your bank statements and tag everything until you’re up to date.

You can download and send reports to your accountant, otherwise you could just create a login for them in Account Settings >> Team Management.

Thank you very much.
I do apologies, I hadn’t come across the questionaire, more haste less speed and not seeing the wood for the trees.
The ex- accountant is not available I need to start from scratch :frowning: Hey ho.
Regards and thanks again
Valerie

1 Like

No problem, it’s actually not easy to find!

There are a few thousand posts on this forum so you get stuck with anything have a quick search.

If there’s anything your still stuck with, post a new query on here and I or someone else may be able to help.

Hi guys I’m looking to do this now… I’ve done it several times from system to sytem but never QB to QF. Just a couple of questions please. If I bring in the Trial Balance from let’s say today, I know my GL is correct. But then how can I get my sub ledger Supplier / Customer open balances to agree to the debtors / creditors? I can see that changing the opening balance will duplicate the TB original transaction, i.e. in the case of a supplier, Dr Expense Cr Creditors

Thanks

Michael

Many thanks Glen.
I’ve gone through all the relelvant post I can find ( I think) I just wanted to clarify something with regards to importing the financial data. Please bare with me as I have never used software before…
It is all the data for 13/14 Tax Year I need to import. There is no trial balance available, my business year is the same as my tax year. In essence importing a banking data csv for the year or a month at a time whichever is best as my accounts are simple and can be obtained from bank statements.
As such do I need to imput anything into the journal at all, or when it comes to the import of the bank transactions, do I literally just set the date for banking as 6/4/13 to 5/4/14? Do I need to place anywherre the opening balance and the closing balance on each of those dates to QF knows what it is tallying to or is automatic.
It seems to make sense that I would need to tell QF somewhere the total it began with and the total to end with for the period in question. I hope that makes sense.
Regards
Valerie

@xloganm15 yes if you import your TB and then manually setup opening balances for your clients and suppliers it will double up on the debtor and creditor control accounts.

It’s always tricky setting up initially but what you would normally do is reduce your sales (4000) and debtor control (1100) balances manually to take into account any OBs you’re individually setting up for your clients. Same applies for suppliers but via the purchase code (5000-9997) and creditor control (2100).

In the above case you can do this entirely with journals, or directly edit your OBs, which are effectively journals anyway.

@manicmummy importing all your bank records for the year 13/14 is a great way to start, you can then just bank tag all your accounting records from there. With regards to opening balances you can set these for each of the bank accounts in the bank settings page. You don’t need to worry about closing balances as if your OB is correct and the transactions are all correct for the year your closing balance should tally with your bank statement.

Hi again

I am pretty much getting to grips with this thanks to your guidance Glenn.
I have succesfuly imported clients, invoices and am part way through purchase invoices. I really love how its all coming together.
I just wanted to check, when I import my bank statement, will it automatically detect that payment has been made against an invoice, following the import of sales invoices? I gather I will have to go through the CSV and ensure everything matches. Or can I deal with this as regards the tagging, such as an alreay logged function?
Also, I have searched the knowledgebase, but I am still not entirely show how I record my opening and closing debtors, and how a report is generated to reflect this. Do I create an invoice for opening debtors, with a line for each debtor, and the same for creditors. Also do I create an invoice to reflect any invoices issued to me before the tax year ended but paid when the new one had begun. If so, which nominal would I allocate?
Thanks for your patience and understanding.
With thanks and Kind Regards
Valerie

Good to hear!

When you imported the invoices did you mark them as paid? If so as long as those payment dates are accurate with the bank statement, when you come to import the bank statement it should flag up and allow you to skip the duplicates.

It’s better to create an invoice per client/supplier rather than lumping them all into one. But it depends how many you actually have, if you have under 50 keep them all separate otherwise you can lump them together on a single invoice (in the interest of time keeping), the end result in terms of the ledgers will be the same either way.

The nominal code you use is less important for sales, you can put all under 4000. For purchases you could use 5000 (general purchases) or if you want you can distribute them across different codes so you have say advertising, stationery, utility etc all separated out.

Thats great, thank you.
I did mark the invoices as paid, I thought there must be some sort of mechanism in place for avoiding duplicates

Thank you for clearing that up re the opening and closing debtors too.

Other than actually building familiarity with the system, I am amazed how quick this is, I loath accounts and book keeping, largely through fear of the unknown, but QF seems to do all that I need in an easy to manage way.

Best Wishes

Valere

1 Like

That’s great, I’m glad it’s making the job a little easier for you!

Glenn - I hope this will be my last question :smile:
How would I actually view my opening and closing debtors/creditor balances.
I just can’t quite figure this out. I have created an inoice for a supplier where it staggers the tax year in terms of date of issue, and date of payment… I can’t seem to single this out to view.
apologies if I am completely missing something.
Thanks

Have you had a look at the chart of accounts? This will allow you to set a date range to see the balance on all nominal ledgers and to drill down into those ledgers.

The ones you’re interested in are as follows:

1100: Debtor Control Account
2100: Creditor Control Account

If you set the date range as follows you can see the balance up to the end date, in this case 1st December.

You could also use the balance sheet to show what the debtor or creditor balance is at a given point in time.

Many thanks
The penny is dropping…
Best Wishes
Valerie

1 Like

Hi Glen
I have PM’d you but not sure if I have done so successfuly?
Regards
Valerie

Dear Glenn,

I’m a bit confused with Debtors aging reports.
Is it possible to see and make these reports in different currencies, i.e when I need to send it to my clients it has to be in the same currevcy as the invoices are.
I know where to checnge a currency for invoicing, but I could not find ho to manage reports.

many thx in advance,

All base reporting in QuickFile is in GBP. You wouldn’t ordinarily send your client a debtor ageing report, this is for internal use. Have you considered instead sending them a client statement, this will show all overdue invoices by age and grouped by currency.