HMRC shows successful VAT return but Quickfile shows Saved after HMRC error 500

Hi,

When I tried to submit my latest VAT return for period 23B4 I got “HMRC Error Code: 500, Status: INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR etc” back from HMRC’s servers. I logged into HMRC online services but the VAT return transaction wasn’t showing so I rolled back the Quickfile submission and tried again. I think I got error 500 again but this time HMRC logged the return correctly. Any suggestions on how to sync my latest Quickfile VAT return to HMRC as Reports → VAT Returns shows the latest submission with status “Saved” instead of “Filed”.

Another slightly related question: Reports → HMRC shows I have two connections for my company (one with a VAT link green tick symbol and one a greyed out tick symbol). I’m not sure how I got two entries but is it okay to delete one of them as they seem to do the same thing?

Thanks,
Tom

If the numbers on the “saved” return in QuickFile agree with the numbers HMRC think you sent then there’s no need to do anything as it’s already in sync. If you happen to have already rolled back your second attempt then you’ll need to disable online filing and “save” another return to lock things down correctly on the QuickFile end.

Now that HMRC think you’ve submitted there’s no way to get it to show as “submitted” rather than “saved” in QuickFile but it doesn’t matter; HMRC has your return and QuickFile has created the correct journal and locked the correct items.

Personally I’d delete them both and then run through the whole connecting process again to be 100% certain you’ve got a working connection in place. As to why you have two listed in the first place it’s likely either that one connection expired after 18 months and you had to connect again, or you’ve got two different government gateway accounts (maybe one for vat and another for SA) and have somehow connected them both. If you’re in any way unsure whether it’s right the safe option is always to disconnect everything and then re connect afresh.

Hi @ian_roberts, thanks for the guidance. HMRC’s record of my VAT return is identical to Quickfile’s record so I’ll just leave it in the “Saved” state as you suggest.

As a future roadmap item it could be nice for Quickfile to allow a user to override the “Saved” state to “Submitted” (maybe with a suitable caution).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.