How can I undo a Rolled back VAT return

I mistakenly clicked on VAT Return Rollback. How can I undo this? I don’t need to change anything, just need to ensure it is submitted to HMRC.

It has been submitted - rollback only affects the record in QuickFile, not the actual submission to HMRC. But you will need to fix the QuickFile end in order for your next return to be correct.

In your QuickFile VAT settings, un-tick the box for online filing, then go back to VAT returns and prepare a new return for the same period you have already filed. Check that the numbers it calculates agree with the ones you submitted (which they should unless, since you submitted, you’ve added any extra invoices, purchases, or payments dated during that quarter), if they don’t you’ll have to make manual adjustments to make it line up. Save the new return, then go back to your settings and turn online filing back on ready for next time.

If you had to adjust anything to make the numbers agree then you will have to apply the same adjustments in reverse next quarter (e.g. if you had to increase box 1 by £5 here you’ll have to decrease it by £5 next time).

Hi - thanks. I didn’t receive an email from HMRC though, which concerns me.
I have followed your steps and created a new VAT return on Quickfile, it shows exactly the same amount, as it should, because I don’t need to make any changes. The status of the VAT return mentions ‘saved’, but I cannot submit it. Is this sufficient?

Yes, you already submitted the first one. If in any doubt, log in to tax.service.gov.uk/business-account and check it shows as submitted on there.

1 Like

thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.