How to correct error after sending VAT return

I mistakenly created 2 invoices for the same job, but didn’t spot the error until after the VAT return was submitted. How can I correct this. It won’t let me delete the invoice as it is locked. I have rolled back the VAT return, but I still can’t delete the invoice.

1 Like

I think this probably should have been in “support”, not “how to”.
Reading some other posts, one way suggested o resolve it is to create a credit note to cancel out the invoice. However, will this automatically lead to the correct adjustment in the next VAT return?
Fortunately, there is no VAT associated with the invoice if that makes it any simpler.
Also, I don’t understand what rolling back the VAT period has done. Can this be left like this or do I need to roll it forward again somehow?

I think you’ve probably over complicated it now. You will need to re save the vat return period making sure it matches to the submitted vat return. Next create a credit note against the wrong invoice and that should then correct the error on the next vat return.

Don’t credit note until after you re save the vat return or you will make matters worse.

How do you save the VAT period again?
It shows the period as ROLLEDBACK in the VAT reports section, but I can’t see anyway to resave it.

You’ll have to go into your account settings in QuickFile and untick the box for online filing. Then you’ll be able to create another return for the same period and save it, then re-enable the online filing options ready for your next return.

Thanks. I think I have it sorted now. However, the error invoice now appears in the next VAT period, as well as the one just submitted. The credit note cancels the original error, but I will need to use the adjustment box in the VAT return to remove the second occurrence of the invoice. I hope that will correct the error.
Note to self - DON’T MAKE ERRORS AS THEY ARE A REAL PAIN TO PUT RIGHT!

I’d change that note to self to say if you do make errors, don’t roll back the VAT return to try and correct them as you’ll end up in a bigger mess than when you started. Once you’ve submitted the return to HMRC that’s it, and unless the error makes a difference of several thousand pounds in the value of box 5 it’s easier for all concerned just to let it correct naturally in the following quarter’s return - the way QuickFile operates, you can create invoices, purchases and credit notes dated in a previous quarter after you’ve submitted that VAT return, and they will be automatically included in the next return you submit.

So for future reference if the same thing happens again then what you should do is not roll back the return, but simply create a credit note dated the same as the duplicate invoice to cancel it out. The duplicate invoice was included in the previous return but the credit will be accounted for in the next one, so across the two quarters you’ve paid the right VAT overall.

1 Like

Yes, agreed. The rolling back was suggested somewhere on the forum. Still don’t understand what that does anyway.
Is there anyway to stop the invoice from appearing in the next VAT period? It already appeared in the VAT return just submitted. I don’t know why this is happening, probably because I messed around untagging and trying to delete it. Or can I restore everything back to the point before I rolled back?

Have managed now to fix that myself. I just rolled back again, resaved the VAT period and bingo. All good now I think.

If the box totals on the re-saved VAT return exactly match the ones you originally submitted to HMRC then yes, it sounds like you are sorted.

If the boxes don’t match then you’ll have to roll back again, then save the return again making manual adjustments to correct the figures so they match the return on HMRC. Then on your next return make the same adjustments in reverse.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.