How to log and pay sole trader salary

Hello,
I imported a bank statement for May which has 2 salary out payments to myself from the business bank account.

After the import, they appear for tagging, and when I tag them one at a time, I am selecting ‘Salary or other drawings’, then I select ‘Proprietor Drawings’, I enter my name for the Recipient and then ‘Save’.

The issue I have is that when I look at the Profit & Loss report for the month of May, it shows the gross profit which is correct, and then underneath it shows a heading ‘Less Expenses’ with a row with code 9998 Suspense Account and the tagged salary, and then the ‘Profit Before Tax’ underneath displays the gross profit minus the salary. This seems incorrect because as a sole trader, should not salary to me simply be part of the gross profit and not an expense?

I feel that I may be incorrectly tagging the salary from the bank statement, and so your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Bharat

Sole trader cannot get salary, it will be drawings. Profit is taxable regardless drawn or not as sole trader

Thank you for clarifying the terminology. I was using the word salary so that the Proprietor drawing was distinguished from any other type such as an expense.

And I believe I have resolve the issue. I had only tagged one of the two ‘Salary’ transactions and the other was appearing in the Suspense Account row which now does not appear.

Thank you again,
Bharat

Only if net profit exceeds personal allowance which for the 2018-19 tax year is £11850

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.