How to override purchase due dates

How to override purchase due dates

Click or type in due date box.

Ok thanks had to physically type in the date as the calendar would not show to April.

A payment on cc but statement not being paid till April…hope that makes sense.

The calendar would not override when clicking on it.

Mine shows this month (March) and next month (April) by default and by clicking the arrows I can scroll through to many years in either direction.

What device are you using to enter/edit these purchases?

Are you talking about the payment due date (in the top right corner) or the payment made date (the tickbox section at the bottom where you can log a payment against a new purchase)? The due date can be set to anything you like. For the actual payment date almost everywhere in QuickFile where you can log payments will completely prevent you from creating a payment dated in the future. The section at the bottom of the purchase editing page is the only exception I’ve found to this rule, it will allow future payments if you type in the date but as you’ve found it won’t let you select a future date from the calendar.

I doubt this was intentional, and while I, like you, find this a useful feature, I very much suspect that QuickFile will consider it a bug that needs to be fixed :wink:

I would agree with @ian_roberts that it’s likely to be a bug for future dates to be allowed there :wink:

@QFMathew though it does pour water on the claim that it’s impossible for you to allow future dated payments because it’ll break things (I’ve been logging them like this for a while now and not broken anything - I find it useful when I make a bank transfer payment on a Saturday evening or Sunday and it shows up on my online banking with the following Monday’s date). Journals are allowed to be forward dated, so why not anything else?

Mac and iPad. Maybe I need to upgrade my quick file as only on basic at the moment ?..

It won’t break anything, as you’ve probably discovered by now. If the payment is in GBP it won’t have any negative effects at all. With foreign currency payments it’s a little more complex as it will be lodged with the current exchange rate.

So it’s more of a soft control :slight_smile: I’m still not sure it’s wise for us to completely remove these controls? Most report ranges default to the current accounting year, therefore unless you slide the end date back to today, it will pull in those future dated entries. Probably not an issue for more experienced users, but I can see this catching some people out.

@Claireabell I think maybe you’re mistaking “due date” to the actual date the payment will occur? If a supplier issues you an invoice that states the payment should be received by the end of the month, that is the due date that goes in the box in the top right. On the payment slip part at the bottom that is for you to mark the purchase as paid immediately, so that payment date can be different to the due date.

Personally I would discourage logging future dated payments like this, just lodge it as unpaid and then wait for the payment to appear on your bank, then tag it to the open purchase invoice. If you do it this way you’ll not run into reconciliation problems with the bank later when you find it’s imported that same payment again.

That isn’t the issue so you don’t need to worry about upgrading just yet. Hopefully some of the other posts answer your query and have cleared up the confusion but I feel like this might circle back around to the other posts where you are trying to do everything in Quickfile like you did on your spreadsheets. As @Glenn suggested tagging from the bank feed would be the easiest way to keep everything reconciled here as you would just tag the payment from the bank rather than logging a payment on the purchase screen from the current account. Did you get a bank feed set up and working? Logging purchases this way would create double entries if so.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.